Control/Dimming Osram LED Sample Kit Failure

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
So I made this castle loft bed for my Daughter last year using my Osram RGB LED sample kit materials. They were not high output enough for my production needs, but for this project... has the Osram name for quality. Thanks Mark for them, she loved it. She doesn't often play in her room, and a few months ago I was a hero in making the "Disney Dance Club" concept work with the color changing dance lighting as designed. Wasn't a battery problem in the remote in not working, but somehow made it work perhaps in tapping something. Months later (this weekend) she wanted to have a dance party again. Tried switching out the perfectly good remote battery again, and even switching out remotes today. It's not the remote, it's the sensor that somehow for what ever reason went bad. Plug in the PSU, it goes white light w/o control or ability to turn off short of unplugging. Bad sensor or something else - the brain of it buried under the bed frame? Possible to butt splice a new sensor as the whole control mechanism is within the bed frame? Might this be an easy solution or do I have to take apart the bed frame?

Could having placed the brain for the remote in a small cavity under the bed w/o ventilation - other than open cubic space area w. the PSU be the cause of the failure, or somehow is it likely the sensor for the brain hanging down into open air has gone bad? Brain or sensor?

Attachments

• IMG_20161113_155704309.jpg
    IMG_20161113_155704309.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_20180723_195030088.jpg
    IMG_20180723_195030088.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Did you hook it up to the lightify app?

The brains in the cheap 50/50 tape are nothing but a driver chip with a power source like a wallwort.

Without seeing the brain and or assuming they have similar low profile tech. I wouldn’t think the brain would fry from overheating. Even if you left it on all day.

I would splice in the sensor to troubleshoot and if it is infact the sensor then fix it proper. If they have problems with faulty sensors get a few of them and wire it up so you can interchange them. Like something on a 2.5mm or reroute the sensor to an easily accessed location from the brain. Maybe next to what looks like the switch on the castle stairs.

Look forward to updates.

If the princess isn’t happy then chaos ensues.

sorry if not so important if a remote sensor for installed RGB is the cause of not working properly or controller itself the cause for an install we all might run across a problem in the future to. This is probably the first note of a sensor or power supply brain failing on such standard/stock things. To think how many have been installed, I iwas thinking a good thing to discuss. Sorry to take up CB time in asking advice on it. I'll go back to silent mode in key role in stuff like Viper and Mythos upgrades not discussed I cannot cite.

Last edited:
Sorry if misunderstanding reply, this in not finding humor about its importance = well short of getting a show up and running in this year's most important thread in gettingor a major fixture problem. Missed the joke - made the thing for my Daughter... this problem found at home is by far better than some problem found by way of a job site where I need to fix it ASAP! I view this as also important, but a lot less in that while I have not installed such a sensor unit yet for LED tape on a paid install to say a club, it is still a stock industry sensor. Nope, I misunderstood you in making a joke of this failed sensor for importance TBA in me correcting. Perhaps something else? Way to fix without replacing - perhaps clean the lens? Changed remotes and batteries to it without repairing? Will try replacing the sensor and even take the broken part to where I work electronics' dpt. so as to figure out why it stopped working. Let CB know. This if somewhat important to know. Believe this is the first noting of a remote control sensor for LED control going bad noted....... thought important. Presented by reply perhaps not so well and than it's not the most important thing of the year to note but important while in study. Sorry If I installed or noted such a failure as the case of my princess and not out of some important club as per a valid topic I take offense with.

One does realize R&D?? Sorry no joke in something failing. Yea... my Daughter can't have her Micky Mouse rock and roll dance club for some reason. It was fixed for a while a few months ago by replacing the battery.... Believe I mentioned that above. Clean the lens of the sensor might be a good initial step. But overall if a good remote, change out the remote easier than changing out the controller. Sort of like on a job site in asking advice in how to approach and fix this.

Last edited:
I love troubleshooting. So you peaked my curiosity. You did leave room for humor pokes though.

In most club environments I would think you wouldn’t use the remote and hook it up to a decoder and control it from the booth.

The only exception would be a portable setup or maybe at the bar where it’s standalone and setup like your bedroom setup.

However in my experience clubs go with shitty 50/50 tape from amazon/China that cost the price of a beer and don’t mind replacing it when it fails.

Curious now as to what other applications you plan to progress Osrams or another other led tape to make something pop.

Fix the sensor by way of trying replacing the sensor in an ugely way, or raise the bed in access to replacing the controller. Glad we are more serious about the problem in that such controllers or sensors could haves been installed on any number of installs. Yes obviously we would go decoder for shows or most clubs.... but not always I think importance of something done. This is the point of something to look into further study or if in general the concern abut.

So butt splicing worked? Didn’t you make it interchangeable? An IR sensor isn’t a whole lot. Was it not getting it through the “eye” was it burnt out? Was it the controller?

Details!!

Need to get another sensor before the repair - none in stock. Have not had the right project from the right supplier yet to tack such a thing onto an LED order. Though I should quick, sleepover coming up.

Curious now as to what other applications you plan to progress Osrams or another other led tape to make something pop.
You apparently don't know Ship very well. There was a rumor a few years back about the day Ship needed a bunch of single tube LED fixtures for a project... and they ended up buying out every Walmart and Home Depot in Illinois. He's into very LARGE applications

The acual mythos is more fun, but thanks in pulling up an age fun day and easier back than when we were still doing rush projects for T-8 flourcents - we also went to Wisconson to get! from. Think the goal was like 480x dual lamp fixtures in a single day but it has been a few years. One of the "Best Days Ever"!!!

Thanks in pulling that back up. Years later everyone in the shop... take these removed fixtures please in pallets of them in getting rid of. Paul McCarttney tour years ago had this Pixie stick and fraimed wall design. They were all to be lighted in colors and controlled interestingly.. believe it was dual surface mounted T8 flourecent fixtures mounted to frames. As normal, we got quick notice with limited R&D. Quickly tested many brands of fluorescent fixture with ETC touring Sensor dimmer racks under similar loads. Not quick enough for the build & to figure out what to do.. as normal purchase everything you can.

Yes... I had thee people in my department working under me. We each got a Menards and Home Depot credit card and off to the four winds with our ability to same day get the lights. Huge adventure! I laid out a map with thumb tacks of which route to all in the area they were to go to in both Menards and Home Depot. Lowes wasn't much a factor in their offered fixtures didn't do well under normal ETC sensor rack control. Early in the morning we got word that the Home Depot fluorescent fixtures were not working in testing as opposed to the better Menards brand in working as well. Became a Menards road race.

Stop shopping at Home Depot message got out - no IM or for the most part email at that point in still phone tag. It was good to get out of the shop, some semblance of a great day to be driving about and shopping on a company credit card. Believe it was up in 300x lighting fixtures we had to get with double more on order thru corporate to get shipped to us with. Been a few years but was fun in trav ling to every Menards on your route, and at times one of your crew had already been there.... I was the Rt.64 line of Menards amongst others that crossed state lines or down to Peoria in a one day thing... how many lights finally determined we want we could get.

And than started the quick build in lots of overtime to get done quick. Paid for our adventure in having to install hundreds of lights onto scenery. That much less inter connect or do home runs for. Adventure was much more fun than the need of getting what we acquiired that day... now we have to install it... tonight. Once home, adventure in part stops. But you did do something in satisfaction once tested. Endless late hours we finished the thing.

Last edited:
All that and you won’t amazon an IR sensor?

After reading all that I might just buy it for you to see if it will work lol. Just so you don’t go on a 200 mile round trip drive to every Menards/HD/Lowe’s to get one ( crying laughing face emoji; cause iPhone emojis don’t work)

Back when that "legend" happened... probably well more than 200 mile divided between 4x people, Amazon as a supplier didn't really exist. Forgot to mention that we also tried the local electrical supplier Lutron fixtures in not working with the dimmers also. Man/hours in days spent on R&D than waiting to test at least five brands of fixture for how they would work with a normal Sensor rack in testing enough of them to get an idea. And the actual "go" for the projectt somewhere between initial tests and making. Given more than one fixture per circuit, had to test many fixtures for the concept also. Literally between the "go" and due date, tested many fixtures and were down to two. Could twiddle my thumbs while waiting on testing of the last two brands or send my guys and me out to the four winds so as to collect what we could. Testing on the final Menards verses Home Depot versions were being done that morning. I said get on the road and we will get a call of the results.

"Go" given and you have like a week to complete about 480 lighting fixtures installed and wired to Soco. Besides that, hot non-air conditioned shop, and my department is the furthest away from any open dock door. Spend the first day doing something? My department is more of the "you want what" department, in we create anything in concept even napkin sketch, we will figure out how to do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back