Painting Saran Wrap?

Doing the pilot of Newsies. The entire set is wood painted to look like metal and rust. I've now been loaned some trussing that i can add as well, but i can't paint the trussing itself. My first thought was saran wrapping the trussing and painting that, but I'm concerned about chipping and beading of the paint.

The paint job that we're matching is a blend of several latex-based paints with spray paint overtop.

Painters tape if you mask it. A few layers.

Or

Paint it with water color paint. It wipes off with some elbow grease.

plus one for painters tape, or craft/bogus paper, run long strips of it out, paint and weather it to the desired effect and cut to fit the truss sections. Talk to Meghan, pretty sure she did a lot of metal painting for sweeney todd when they did it at tsa. You won't be happy with saran wrap. Though when we did Working at BG for the windows we did a similar aging/dirt/metal wash on thick opaque plastic and it worked pretty well. My first two choices would be painters tape and painting over that, or the bogus paper cut and taped around the truss if you're determined to use it. But sticks of truss aren't exactly the look for newsies I would go for, its the wrong type unless you have some tri-truss you could use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back