Paris Terrorist Attacks

Not really crazy about that. If that guy showed up carrying to a gig I employed him for he would be walked out in cuffs no questions asked.
Based on my reading of the article, the author only carries a firearm when legal to do so (so if not legal in your venue, it would be left locked up at home or in the car). The main point of the article was that even someone working a gig who has a personal firearm and combat training would not be prepared to engage an active shooter and should be getting out as quickly as possible (while doing what they can to help others do so as well).

Yes, the primary takeaway from that article was GTFO-GTFO-GTFO! CCL laws are so state specific in this country I would think it would be near impossible to do that on a touring show. It did make me ponder the idea of wearing a vest if you are FOH during a show. Not much help if it's a head shot though. My heart is hoping we will never have to deal with this, but my brain tells me it's only a matter of time.

It did make me ponder the idea of wearing a vest if you are FOH during a show.
A vest would provide extra protection increasing your chance of getting out. As others have pointed out, the actual risk of an active shooter coming to a show is significantly lower than the everyday risks this industry faces of fire and falls; however, especially for those working high profile shows or abroad, wearing a vest may be a reasonable precaution.

I had a brief FB chat with Jim before he wrote that article. He was emphasizing (to some Rambos) how training and following the rules is necessary. I pointed out how much trouble the police have, even with all their training and experience. Someone quoted a report where the police miss their targets 89% of the time. (??) Anyway Jim can be passionate but not trouble.

I am glad to see he went to some experienced folks and got a strong message. GTFO seems like a good plan to me. I suspect we will all hear more from security pros soon.

Someone quoted a report where the police miss their targets 89% of the time. (??)
Yes, that's a true stat. Cop friend was telling me, real life with moving targets is a lot harder than going to the range. Very little time to aim, thus the "Pray and Spray."

Regarding vests, won't stop a high velocity round but will turn it into a low velocity round... Basically, for example, a 223 cal round is no larger in diameter than a 22, but the speed produces a shock-destruction that is about 2 inches in diameter making it a lot more lethal. So, if a vest drops the velocity so that you only have a small hole through you, there is less chance of a major blood vessel being taken out, and therefore your survive-ability increases greatly.
So, bottom line, if it is a high risk situation, the vest can really save you even if high velocity rounds hit you. Still a lot of luck involved, but anything to increase the odds sounds good to me.
Of course, your best option many times over is GTFO !!!

Yes, that's a true stat. Cop friend was telling me, real life with moving targets is a lot harder than going to the range. Very little time to aim, thus the "Pray and Spray."
and for that matter (we got some of this in our active shooter training at the school) its usually many police/civilians and few aggressors. Far more targets for an attacker so thats why the statistics are so skewed.

Interview with the band and the sound guy is up:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jessie said while he was trying to run out he came up around a corner on one of the gunman, who tried to draw on him but luckily hit his gun barrel on a door frame and didn't get a shot off at him.

Sound guy said he locked eyes with the shooter, who then shot up his console. He survived by ducking down under the console.

One of their fans contacted them to say they hid behind their road cases for over an hour, and that they survived the explosions hiding behind those cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back