Pipe Mounted Enclosure

Synchronize

I'm looking for an electrical enclosure with either a built in pipe clamp, or some sort of hanging bracket for a C-clamp. Basically the same idea as a scroller power supply. I would fabricate my own, but it's for a small project and I really don't want to put the time in it. I've poked around on newark.com and mouser.com for a while, but short of sifting through hundreds of pages, I don't think I can easilly find what I'm looking for. Does anybody know who might carry an enclosure like this? Or perhaps have a broken or incomplete scroller power supply that they would like to part with? (Sorry, I know this isn't the classifieds, but it's relative.)

Any reason you can't just drill a 1/2" hole in any appropriate box (junction box, 1900, pendant, bell box, or other), and attach a c-clamp?

Said box will have 120VAC going through it and I don't want the end user to have to open the box to tighten the C-clamp. I know, just unplug it first, but not not everybody understands the concept. I love my customers, but some of them sure can be dumb sometimes. It might come to that, or I might just fab and bolt a clamp bracket to the box. But I figured if there was an existing product, I might as well use it.

derekleffew wrote: "Any reason you can't just drill a 1/2" hole in any appropriate box (junction box, 1900, pendant, bell box, or other), and attach a c-clamp?"
............ I don't want the end user to have to open the box to tighten the C-clamp.......................

Derek's right. Properly tightened down with a lock washer, one should never have to re-tighten the "C" clamp yoke bolt. No need to open the box. In addition, you probably don't even need to drill. Most drop boxes have knockouts that are roughly 5/8" dia. a standard 1/2" flat washer on each side, spring lock washer on the inside and your bolt, done, no drilling, no muss, no fuss. Don't make a easy job hard by over thinking.

And for the record, many drop boxes come with "C" clamps attached just the way we are describing. Some have the "C" clamp bolted to a flat plate which in turn is bolted to the box. Don't forget to include an eye bolt for a safety. Here's an example from SSRC.
http://www.ssrconline.com/cm_box.pdf The ones from ETC are Similar

View attachment Distro Boxes C clamp mount _vA.pdf

Said box will have 120VAC going through it and I don't want the end user to have to open the box to tighten the C-clamp. I know, just unplug it first, but not not everybody understands the concept. I love my customers, but some of them sure can be dumb sometimes. It might come to that, or I might just fab and bolt a clamp bracket to the box. But I figured if there was an existing product, I might as well use it.

Or use uni-strut as an in-between and use nylon nuts.
1 5/8 in. Wide x 13/16 in. High x 10 ft. Long, 12 Gauge Metal Framing Channel, Gold Galvanized-ZB1400HS 10 at The Home Depot

Derek's right. Properly tightened down with a lock washer, one should never have to re-tighten the "C" clamp yoke bolt. No need to open the box.

I'm with Synchronize on this one, someone is eventually going to want it to face a different direction and they're going to grab onto it and turn it. The power supplies for Martin Atomic scrollers are basically a box that is rigged by an extra full length flange. If you are unable to find a suitable/budget friendly option from a manufacture you could recreate that by buying an enclosure the size you need and then permanently attach angle iron or flat metal stock depending on how you want it to hang, drill a hole in that, and then the customer can have access to both sides of the clamp hardware without ever opening the enclosure.

I'm with Synchronize on this one, someone is eventually going to want it to face a different direction and they're going to grab onto it and turn it. The power supplies for Martin Atomic scrollers are basically a box that is rigged by an extra full length flange. If you are unable to find a suitable/budget friendly option from a manufacture you could recreate that by buying an enclosure the size you need and then permanently attach angle iron or flat metal stock depending on how you want it to hang, drill a hole in that, and then the customer can have access to both sides of the clamp hardware without ever opening the enclosure.

Two possible solutions: 1: Weld the bolt and use security screws, as was mentioned earlier. Hard to get into, also, the bolt is welded. 2: A [ shaped thing except rotated 90º. Easy to make with a rosebud, a vice and a hammer of some sort. Heck, at this point you could even weld bolts to the inside, thread thru the yolk you have effectively made, and use wing nuts so you can mount the thing any way yo want.

.....someone is eventually going to want it to face a different direction and they're going to grab onto it and turn it..............you could recreate that by buying an enclosure the size you need and then permanently attach angle iron or flat metal stock depending on how you want it to hang, drill a hole in that, and then the customer can have access to both sides of the clamp hardware without ever opening the enclosure.

You cure the "turn it around" problem by mounting 2 "C" clamps. Either into the box or on bar stock as in the two examples I posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back