Microphones Podium Microphone

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on a good podium microphone. It would be for a High School Theater, so it would be used for all assemblies. Any suggestions would be great.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

David

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on a good podium microphone. It would be for a High School Theater, so it would be used for all assemblies. Any suggestions would be great.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

David

We've had great success with Audio Technica's U859QL. This slim gooseneck condenser podium mic is almost 19" long which puts it in range of even the tallest speakers.

I have a set of Shure MX 418's and I'm very happy with them. We use them both at a podium as well as for panel discussions. For podium use I like setting up two of them and get really great coverage over a wide area.

Sennheiser MZH3042 has worked wonderfully for me. They also make a package so you can use it on your podium and as a table mic also.

I second the Shure MX 418's. I have 2 pairs of them and have used them in several other places. They are great.

~Dave

Always the one to ruin all the fun, but is there a specific budget you are trying to meet? And is there phantom power to the mic? No use recommending $200-$300 condenser mics if you need an under $100 dynamic.

One increasingly common issue with gooseneck mics is susceptibility to RF interference from Blackberries, cell phones, etc. People set their phone down on the lectern and any transmission gets picked up by the mic. Many newer gooseneck mics are designed for improved RF isolation, for example Clock Audio has a series just for that purpose (Clockaudio - Microphones - RF Series - RF Goosenecks). Many of the A-T gooseneck mics have been redesigned to incorporate "Uni-Guard RFI shielding" but apparently the U859QL is not among those, which is perhaps reflected in the price.

I believe the Sennheiser MZH 3042 is just the gooseneck portion, you would also need a capsule and mount. When you add those you can get a great mic but for at least double the price of the other models noted.

Directionality
proxy.php
Cardioid Directionality
proxy.php
Supercardioid Directionality

I'm going to third the Shure MX41x series - the 412s or the 418s depending on what length you need. Good stuff.

I will fourth the Shure MX series. We just picked up the MX418/C (condenser style). I was sick of the old chrome gooseneck arm (both the antiquated look and slight creaking everytime someone moved it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back