Portfolio Advice and College Debt

Dovahkiin

A couple of questions as I prepare to start applying to colleges next year. As of now, my focus is on lighting design.

1) I'm currently in a Digital Electronics course at my high school. It deals in the basic aspects of electrical engineering. As a part of the course work, we regularly design, draft, simulate, and build different circuits for different purposes. Would it be advisable to include these drafts in my portfolio, or even to bring a fully constructed project or two? I know they show mechanical aptitude and, to an extent, organizational abilities, but is it too far off topic to include?

2) What is generally considered an appropriate amount of debt from a college education? More specifically, I'm considering two schools. My preferred choice would leave me with a total of $80,000 to pay after the most generous scholarships I could expect, while I'm expecting the other to leave me with around $30,000-$60,000 to pay under the same circumstance. The first one has a much better program, but is the cost really worth it? Is the potential of $80,000 of college debt too much for such an unstable profession?

I'm no expert, but from what I've heard that much is WAY to much to pay. The other program might be a little bit high itself. Are you sure that there isn't a decent in-state program you could attend? The usefulness and benefits of a slightly better school are eliminated when you can't afford to work in the theatre industry because you need a job which can help you pay off student loans.

As for your drafting and mechanical abilities, those most certainly could be included, although I wouldn't spend lots of time on them. Colleges, especially for a lighting design major, are interested in seeing how good of an electrician you are...however, they are still more interested in your design capabilities so don't overemphasize this course.

I'm no expert, but from what I've heard that much is WAY to much to pay. The other program might be a little bit high itself. Are you sure that there isn't a decent in-state program you could attend? The usefulness and benefits of a slightly better school are eliminated when you can't afford to work in the theatre industry because you need a job which can help you pay off student loans.

As for your drafting and mechanical abilities, those most certainly could be included, although I wouldn't spend lots of time on them. Colleges, especially for a lighting design major, are interested in seeing how good of an electrician you are...however, they are still more interested in your design capabilities so don't overemphasize this course.

I should probably clarify that those figures are based off of the total cost after theatre specific scholarships. I still have a huge possibility of academic scholarships and money that I pay out of personal savings and help from family. In other words, that's the total cost, not necessarily my projected debt. As for other programs, I don't think I'll find one that works as well as my alternative with a lower price tag. I'd actually be living at home for the second school. Also, thank you for the advice on the other course. Next year I'll be setting up a sort of "booth" for prospective colleges to visit. Would it be a good idea to include one of the fully assembled circuits at the booth?

80k is way too much debt to have. 25k should be the max that is possible let to pay off and still do a theater gig. The amounts to about 250 a month for 10 years if you get a decent interest rates. That is a lot of cash when making 25k a year is common. 50k is out of the question unless you want to do a until your 40 and get racked with interest. Not a way to start your adult life.

Apply everywhere. Look only at the bottom line after all scholarships. If your parents are not helping you and they have money, financially separate yourself from them... You will get more aid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Are you working with a financial planner who can get tweak your FAFSA number? Any accredited college uses that to figure your total contribution (we go through this every year with 2 kids). You might get grants, loans, tuition reimbursement, etc. There's a lot of money out there, but you need to know where to look and how to get it. Find someone who is familiar with this. Getting money for college is way too complicated to do it yourself any more.

I'm a big supporter of the notion that the college experience is as much about doing something new and away from your childhood home, so I'd go for something where you'd live on campus or at least out of your home town.

I think the common rule of thumb is don't get loans higher than you expect to make out of college, and if you're looking at being a theatre designer, that isn't much.

//but then again who I am to talk?

I'm a big supporter of the notion that the college experience is as much about doing something new and away from your childhood home, so I'd go for something where you'd live on campus or at least out of your home town.

I think the common rule of thumb is don't get loans higher than you expect to make out of college, and if you're looking at being a theatre designer, that isn't much.

//but then again who I am to talk?

I agree, which is one reason the first school is my preferred choice, assuming I can get the money. As far as parental help, they told me I can expect about $600 a semester. As far as FAFSA and any other financial aid, I won't know what to expect for awhile. I'm only a junior right now, so I still have another year before I start interviewing with colleges and filling out forms.

I agree, which is one reason the first school is my preferred choice, assuming I can get the money. As far as parental help, they told me I can expect about $600 a semester. As far as FAFSA and any other financial aid, I won't know what to expect for awhile. I'm only a junior right now, so I still have another year before I start interviewing with colleges and filling out forms.

I would have a circuit there, yes...even if you don't always show it, it would be a great conversation starter a maybe help a bit...

If you're a junior, I have another recommendation. The Educational Theatre Association here has a thing at state conference where juniors can do a mock college interview in front of like 20 colleges and get recommendations, suggestions, and (if you are lucky) offers. Even if not one of the colleges are ones you'd apply to, I recommend doing the mock interview just for practice, assuming the Texas EdTA does such a thing.

I would have a circuit there, yes...even if you don't always show it, it would be a great conversation starter a maybe help a bit...

If you're a junior, I have another recommendation. The Educational Theatre Association here has a thing at state conference where juniors can do a mock college interview in front of like 20 colleges and get recommendations, suggestions, and (if you are lucky) offers. Even if not one of the colleges are ones you'd apply to, I recommend doing the mock interview just for practice, assuming the Texas EdTA does such a thing.

That'd actually be great. Thanks for the recommendation, but after a quick look through the EdTA website, it doesn't look like there's one planned for Texas any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back