Problem with Element Phone Remote

My high school has been looking into getting a remote control of some sort for our ETC Element board, to lessen the need for screaming down from the catwalk to the board op. We got a simple cordless phone that, according to the manual, should work with the board without any go-betweens. The base station is plugged into the labeled phone remote jack with the telephone line cord, but the board won't take any commands from the phone. The phone is connected to the base-station without any other problems, and all the display on the phone says is "Line In Use". The board doesn't react to any input from the phone whatsoever.
Has anyone had similar problems, assuming anyone actually uses a phone remote? (It's a little ratchet, I know, but we're on a tight budget.)
Is there some step I might be missing?

You should not be getting a "Line In Use" message on the handset as this indicates there's a problem with your setup. Either the base station has a problem or the Element console is not generating the correct voltage. With the phone "On Hook" (i.e. hung up), there should be something like 48 VDC between "tip" and "ring" (i.e. the two wires of the connection). When the phone is "Off Hook" (i.e. in talk mode for a cordless phone), that voltage should drop to around 6 volts. It looks like the base station thinks there's another phone "off hook" somewhere on the same line, which of course is not the case here.

Did you try another base/handset unit?

You should not be getting a "Line In Use" message on the handset as this indicates there's a problem with your setup. Either the base station has a problem or the Element console is not generating the correct voltage. With the phone "On Hook" (i.e. hung up), there should be something like 48 VDC between "tip" and "ring" (i.e. the two wires of the connection). When the phone is "Off Hook" (i.e. in talk mode for a cordless phone), that voltage should drop to around 6 volts. It looks like the base station thinks there's another phone "off hook" somewhere on the same line, which of course is not the case here.

Did you try another base/handset unit?

No, not yet. I'll try that next, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back