Proper Safety Gear (Harness, etc) for ceiling work

tk2k

Hi Everybody,
I need to change lamps, refocus, and regel a series of lights 90ft in the air, where the only way to get to them is a trap door directly above each light pocket. A lift is not easily accessible, so the only way to get to them is down from above.

I can reach the front of the barrol laying on my stomach and reaching straight down, but that would mean my hips are beyond the lip of the trap door, and I really do not want to fall 90ft.

The dean of the conservatory has given me ' up to a few hundred dollars' to get a harnas and basic safety gear I can rig up to the I-Beam struts above where I will be working, but I've never actually had to rig the safety gear myself, and I'm looking for some advice on how to do it safely.

I'm thinking of buying one of the full body harnesses that go over your shoulders as well. I could even do it with a rope and 2 carabiners right? What would be the best way to do this? It has to be fairly adaptable as there are 20 of these trap door pockets in the ceiling.

Not really in the market for a professionally installed full system, and definitely not in the budgetary market. It would be cheaper to pay a company to come in and do the work rather than install a full system

Not really in the market for a professionally installed full system, and definitely not in the budgetary market. It would be cheaper to pay a company to come in and do the work rather than install a full system

My experience with Sapis is that they are willing to either install something, or sell you gear. I would strongly suggest calling them and talking about your situation. When I did this we talked about possible solutions, I sent them pictures of the structure, and they sent me the equipment I needed to make my place safer.

Like BDS001 I am a sapsis fan. Give them a call.

I suggest spending a portion of your budget on an OSHA Fall Arrest class.

... I can rig up to the I-Beam struts above where I will be working, but I've never actually had to rig the safety gear myself, and I'm looking for some advice on how to do it safely. ...

From Personal Fall Arrest System (Section I - Mandatory; Sections II and III - Non-Mandatory) - 1910.66 App C :
(10) Anchorages to which personal fall arrest equipment is attached shall be capable of supporting at least 5,000 pounds (22.2 kN) per employee attached, or shall be designed, installed, and used as part of a complete personal fall arrest system which maintains a safety factor of at least two, under the supervision of a qualified person.

And if you do the math on it, if you dont use the right equipment, you can create over 5k lbs of force on a point (it sounds crazy, i know), so getting the right kind of gear and the right kind of training is extremely important. Also, you need to consider rescue, because on a proper harness your hanging out 16' or so below the roof, and youll need a couple people to perform a rescue on you (or get a self-rescuing harness), but be prepared to pay around what, 300 bucks for that? Anyhow, call up a rigging company who does this sort of thing (+1 for Sapsis)

There is definitely gear available for your needs. But I'd bet anyone would hesitant to tell you what system to hookup without knowing the space.

The basic portions of the fall arrest system are the harness (this should be the full body type), what holds onto you; the connecting device / fall arrestor, what connects you to the anchor and stops your fall; the anchorage connector, what allows you to connect to the anchor point; anchor point, the part of the building that is strong enough to hold the extreme forces of a falling person.

Just as important as stopping yourself from falling, is having a plan to get you back up. Dangling in the air too long can lead to what's colloquially known as suspension trauma.

Each piece of equipment is designed for a very specific purpose, and using it incorrectly for a purpose it's not designed is often fatal.

Miller is a good producer of safety products, and they have a video which underscores the importance of fall protection, and is highly recommended: Video

Users who are viewing this thread

Back