Pulp Art Longevity

Hello, all. Glad to be here. Has anyone had experience using Pulp Art Surfaces in a long-term context? We're building a new set for the Christmas show, and the designer has spec'd Pulp Art. I'm a fan, but I've only ever used it for single-run shows. This will need to last for several years and potentially be stored in non-climate controlled environments during the rest of the season. I'm concerned about its longevity, not just in terms of durability, but also rot, mildew, insect damage, etc.. If you've used it successfully, did you go to any extra measures to protect it? Thanks!

Reactions: Van
I used this stuff on a set for a Nike meeting once. I hated it. this was about 8 years ago so maybe their production has improved but I had a hell of a time with things being inconsistent, bad seam management, lots of wave, very difficult to apply with a basic scenic technic. Maybe if is was being installed long term, with construction adhesive it might be a better product but as something quick and looking good close up, it kind of sucked. It's a great idea and I'm all for a green solution/alternative to Vaccu-form brick panels but I was not impressed with this product.

I’m not familiar with the term Pulp Art. Could someone explain. Is it a product to a ptocess. Rtc

I used this stuff on a set for a Nike meeting once. I hated it. this was about 8 years ago so maybe their production has improved but I had a hell of a time with things being inconsistent, bad seam management, lots of wave, very difficult to apply with a basic scenic technic. Maybe if is was being installed long term, with construction adhesive it might be a better product but as something quick and looking good close up, it kind of sucked. It's a great idea and I'm all for a green solution/alternative to Vaccu-form brick panels but I was not impressed with this product.
It surprises me to hear that. I haven't used it in several years, but when I was, I really liked it. I don't recall it being any less consistent than other formed sheets, with the possible exception of some ragged edges due to the paper processing. We had to use a few more staples to hold it than we otherwise might, but that wasn't a big issue. Maybe you got a bad batch? I'm curious to hear if anyone else had a similar experience to yours.

Reactions: Van

Users who are viewing this thread

Back