RDM and DMX512 will soon be retired!

Did the title get your attention? (especially coming from me) Of course, our beloved protocols are not going away any time soon. However, after reading the latest issue of PLASA Standards News, it appears that ANSI/TIA 485-A-1998 is being withdrawn due to lack of periodic maintenance or reaffirmation. Our standards are based on, and refer to the '485 standard so technically, the basis of our protocols is being removed from "active duty".

It won't change our lives, but it is an interesting turn.

Regards,
Milton Davis

Steve, you really do know how to get a DMXpert riled up, don't you? ;)

Just for the record, no, 3 pin XLR's are not OK for DMX512 or DMX512-A.

RS-485 being retired for lack of reaffirmation? Did any of those computer geeks even consider the lighting industry? Do they even know it exists? ;)

I know of PLENTY of other applications using RS485.
Security Systems are a huge user of the protocol...

The standards bodies might think it's no longer active, but I bet the chip manufacturers have other ideas :)

This seems odd to me. The commercial and industrial electrical industries still use an awful lot of RS-485. It's also reasonable common in substations as a SCADA communications protocol. While it's true that many new installations are moving to direct ethernet connections, I still install some 485 becuase that's all certain devices have available.

My prediction is that in the year 2050, there will still be some RS-485 / DMX around, just as there is still 0-10vdc analog systems, along with manufacturers that are making adapters for them to work on newer equipment.

The real question will be if there are any lamps around that use a filament. Or, even such a thing as "lamps" !

I suspect the real effect will be to freeze 485 where it is now.

Of course if some bright and knowledgeable person came up with a new technology for those wires... :)

I still get catalogs full of devices for handling RS-485. Just a few days ago, a new piece of equipment arrived, a satellite upconverter/amplifier. It has a connector for RS-485 control. RS-485 will be around for a long time to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back