Recommended Rigging Inspection Standard Published

porkchop

Not really sure how this slipped under our radar for a month, but I can't find it elsewhere using CB search. ANSI E1.47 - 2017, Entertainment Technology—Recommended Guidelines for Entertainment Rigging System Inspections was officially approved on April 28th, 2017.

May 08, 2017:
Rigging system inspections are recommended as a component of theatrical workplace safety programs, but there are currently no industry-accepted guidelines for inspection frequency, who conducts the inspection, how the inspection is conducted, and what should be included in reports. The lack of industry-accepted guidelines exists both for owner-conducted and third-party inspections.
In 2012, ESTA began working on a standard for rigging system inspections. ANSI E1.47 - 2017, Entertainment Technology—Recommended Guidelines for Entertainment Rigging System Inspections, is now approved as an American National Standard and available for free download at tsp.esta.org/freestandards, courtesy of ProSight Specialty Insurance. It offers guidance on inspecting entertainment rigging systems—which are systems used to lift and support scenery, luminaires, and other equipment overhead in entertainment venues, such as theatres, video/film studios, amphitheatres, and arenas used for live performances or special events—including recommended inspector qualifications and responsibilities, scope and frequency of inspections, content of the rigging inspection report, and related information concerning the inspection process. The standard may be of use to rigging system inspectors, rigging system owners, stagehands and performers, insurance companies, and occupational health and safety authorities.
For more information on ESTA's Technical Standards Program, including joining a working group, commenting on a draft standard in public review, or to request that a new standard be developed by one of the working groups, please visit tsp.esta.org.

It's a voluntary standard that uses should often instead of shall, but at least when we all say that a system needs an annual inspection there is a document backing that up with details of what an inspection actually includes.

The only part of the standard itself that I found surprising is:
Typically, experience only in system operation will not provide suitable experience to inspect entertainment rigging systems
That makes logical sense, but would be an interesting and challenging thing for several of my previous employers to adopt.

Wouldn't that be the same as saying, "I know how to drive my car, therefore I can inspect my car."

ANSI_E1-47 - 2017 5.1.1- under qualifications of inspector says, " experience including a combination of entertainment rigging systems design, engineering, inspection, installation, maintenance, service, repair, modification, and functional testing."

5.1.6 also states, "This experience should include third-party certification in the applicable discipline."

I agree with ANSI's assessment that knowing how to operate theatrical equipment doesn't qualify one to be an inspector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back