Remote Controlled Props?

smallrobo

Hello!

I need to find a way to make cardboard boxes on stage move independently of the actors on stage. They need to look like the cargo inside them is acting up and maybe jumping around. Any ideas? I'm stumped!

Motors with eccentric weights can cause things to move, secure one corner loosely so they don't "walk" around too much. Pneumatics, can be loud, but can move things abruptly. Stage crew members pulling strings to make things move. Depends on what exactly you want it to do.

Do they still make those Bumble Balls? Maybe you could find a way to remotely switch the power on one?

Build the box on an inexpensive RC car and control it from offstage.

Build the box on an inexpensive RC car and control it from offstage.

Don't go too cheap though, Because some of them go forward the turn to the side as they back up.

Also what's the budget if any.

The simple thing might be a small motor equipped with an eccentric wheel attached in a box with no bottom. As the motor spins the disk bangs against the side and/or top, the box will shimmy and shake. A variable speed motor would allow you to control the motion.
proxy.php

Small Actor/crew + Big box = cheap, reliable, battery-less, remote controlled box!

Don't go too cheap though, Because some of them go forward the turn to the side as they back up.

Also what's the budget if any.

I've been experimenting with RC lately, and anything you find at a box store (sorry, had to use it :twisted: ) is not going to have speed control, other than full speed ahead. You'll have to go to a hobby store or go online and find something with variable speed control. If you're so inclined, you might try making something as well, something with a wiiide wheel base to help prevent the vehicle from tipping over and thus severely limiting the movement of the cardboard box. How big are the boxes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back