Removing Battery Corrosion Buildup

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
So, tonight I found one of my favorite small flashlights had a battery that leaked. I got the battery out, but I've got quite the corrosive buildup in the main tube. Each end of the tube unscrews, so there are no electronics in the tube. It appears the tube is aluminium with an anodized paint on the exterior.

Is there anything I can soak the tube in to remove the battery corrosion buildup?

-dvsDave

From http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ery-corrosion-with-baking-soda-and-water.html :
Dear Heloise: Several years ago, you printed a recipe that removed battery corrosion. Could you reprint that?— Holly, Hagerstown, Md.

Holly, I'm happy to print this money-saving hint! For flashlight and other small electronic devices, first remove the batteries, then use a paper towel to gently wipe away light corrosion. Use 2 tablespoons of baking soda and a little water — just enough to form a paste. Apply the paste to the battery terminals, and the corrosion should foam up and go away.

Wipe all the areas with a clean, damp cloth, and dry everything well. Remember that moisture causes faster corrosion. To prevent corrosion from forming on seldom-used items, remove the batteries and store separately in a self-sealing bag. Baking soda has so many uses around the home that will save you lots of money. To receive a copy of my six-page pamphlet, just send $5 and a long, self-addressed, stamped (61 cents) envelope to: Heloise/Baking Soda, P.O. Box 795001, San Antonio, TX 78279-5001. An empty shoebox with about 1/2 inch of baking soda in it will help absorb odors when placed in the bottom of your closet. — Heloise

Also, http://cleaning.lovetoknow.com/Clean_Alkaline_Battery_Corrosion .

Find a vending machine. Coke will work fine.

But your flashlight will get sticky. I had someone try and do that to my truck battery one time. After rinsing the truck, I went inside and found the baking soda. Auto parts stores also carry corrosion cleaner, but that might be overkill in this situation.

Coke does work, but it's more of an emergency fix for a car battery. Baking soda paste works better and it's easier to clean up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back