Rolling ladder retrofit kit

emac

I have been looking for a couple if months for a rolling ladder retrofit kit. I want to out some wheels on our 10' Werner fiberglass ladders.

I'm looking for the spring loaded casters that let the ladders feet drop when weight is applied to the rungs.

I have poked around on the McMaster Carr and Grainger websites to no avail. I would prefer to have a kit and not do a custom fab, but would entertain the idea if anybody has a good idea to safely attach the casters.

I am aware of the risks that this might add if my crews start rolling the ladder around while they are still in the air. But I will make sure that there will be policies in place to prevent this.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest that you don't do this. Rolling ladders are dangerous, they will be used incorrectly and someone will get hurt. A 10' ladder weighs next to nothing, if the person using it can't lift it they can drag it. If you have to have something that rolls I would look into the rolling stair units they use in the big box stores. They come in various heights and as you step on the first step they drop the legs down and they don't roll.

And if the kit had locking casters with it, people wouldn't lock them when using the ladder because it would slow them down. Just has bad idea written all over it.

I have built numerous rolling ladder rigs... and done way to many stupid stuff on them. But, not getting into that here!

Two ways to do this the correct way... buy a small scaffolding that has wheels or buy a staircase made for picking, such as these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#rolling-stairs/=q6k2p6

There is no way to modify a standard ladder with wheels and still be anything close to OSHA compliant.

I would agree with the above suggestions 100%. The moment someone does something stupid and gets hurt......it's just not worth the liability issues. Scaffolding rents for next to nothing if you need the ability to have a rolling work platform and is OSHA compliant. Safety first - Always!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back