Design Rosco Gobo, I-Cue or...

Jlarmen

I have a limited budget (end of cycle) and need to spend $500-700. At our PAC we do not have any movers, just PARS, ETC D40, and Ellipsoidals. I'm looking at the Rosco Vortez 360 Dual rotator or pushing the budget for the I-cue. Any advice on which would be better?
We host about 2-3 plays a years, 4-6 shows, but generally district band, choir, orchestra, though they are always requesting to spice things up. Movers are in the future, but would need to buy one at a time, over time.
What is the benefit/pitfalls between the Double Gobo Rotator and the Vortex?

Thanks for any constructive feedback.

An I-Cue gives you the ability to reposition a spot which can be useful if you need to cut down on setup time or don't have the inventory for specials. Since the light has to bounce off a mirror, the beam angle is limited to around 26 degrees or less. The size of the spot will vary with the throw distance so these often get used in conjunction with a DMX iris, at which point a low-end ML spot starts to become competitive.

A gobo rotator can be useful for effects but you typically need more than one and I prefer DMX control of rotation speed and also the ability to index the rotation so neither the Vortex nor the Rosco Dual would be on my list for theatrical use as part of permanent inventory. I might rent one for a specific event.

An I-Cue gives you the ability to reposition a spot which can be useful if you need to cut down on setup time or don't have the inventory for specials. Since the light has to bounce off a mirror, the beam angle is limited to around 26 degrees or less. The size of the spot will vary with the throw distance so these often get used in conjunction with a DMX iris, at which point a low-end ML spot starts to become competitive.

A gobo rotator can be useful for effects but you typically need more than one and I prefer DMX control of rotation speed and also the ability to index the rotation so neither the Vortex nor the Rosco Dual would be on my list for theatrical use as part of permanent inventory. I might rent one for a specific event.
Thank you. If I went the Gobo route, are you saying the ETC ION wouldn't be able to control the rotation speed? Does it require Rosco's DMX/DC controller specifically? The I-cue may be out of budget, so I'm thinking the double gobo may be a good starting point until I get two+.

On a side note, has anyone used a small mover like the American DJ Inno Q4 on a large stage? Would those get swallowed up by any fill lights?

Thank you. If I went the Gobo route, are you saying the ETC ION wouldn't be able to control the rotation speed? Does it require Rosco's DMX/DC controller specifically? The I-cue may be out of budget, so I'm thinking the double gobo may be a good starting point until I get two+.

On a side note, has anyone used a small mover like the American DJ Inno Q4 on a large stage? Would those get swallowed up by any fill lights?

And depending upon the company quoting/selling the rotators, Apollo's Smart Move and Smart Move DMX rotators are available for less buck and more bang!

http://www.apollodesign.net/smart-move-dmx.html

Better value means you may fill the balance of your order with breakup and foliage patterns - or some crazy rotational gobos for your new rotator!

http://www.apollodesign.net/breakup-electric-3017.html
Thank you. Our vendor doesn't carry the Apollo, but I like the price difference. I'm going to check other listed vendors.

The 2 you suggested do not appear to be directly controlled by DMX. Since they have a variable speed DC motor, the speed is controllable to some degree by plugging the power adapter into another dimmer. For direct DMX control in the Rosco line I think you need a RevoPro. FWIW, I own Apollo SmartMove DMX units, but I already had a good inventory of power supplies and 4-pin DMX cable when we bought them.

I can't comment on the Inno Q4 other than to say that it looks like a beam and not a spot, so mostly intended for aerial effects in haze. The Inno Spot might be a better choice for theatre. It's photometrics suggest it might do OK in white against a saturated wash.

An iCue would serve you well. Especially handy for those one off things that don't fit the house plot.
I depend on mine for presentations and to get those odd spots that are not covered by the house plot.
You should get a quote and see if the shifting sands of the budget can cover it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back