SAFE, low budget options to jump into a vat of toxic waste...

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Hi, we're doing Zombie Prom and I really want to do the jump into the toxic waste live on stage... on a high school budget. When I did "Once upon a mattress" a few years ago, I had to deal with the princess falling out of the window into the moat. To pull this off I built a "playground slide" with a sheet of hardboard on top. The actress sat backwards on the window sill, locked her legs against the wall to control her speed "falling backwards" threw her hands up behind her head to feel for the ramp behind her, and then once she was reclined down the slide, she threw her legs up in the air and slid down the slide out of sight. With a little practice, and techs on both sides of her in the back helping guide and control her sliding, she was able to very convincingly "fall backwards out the window" and it looked great. I'm thinking of doing something similar with the vat of toxic waste in zombie prom, but curious if you have any other ideas of safe ways to do this stunt (without renting a Hollywood air bag).

We actually didn't do much special for poor Jonny without the h, ours was just flashing most everything red we own...

Is there any way you could loan a crash mat from your gymnasium?

Also, if you had a way to contain it, a vat of green Ooblek would be a really cool effect...

Actually I forgot to mention the gymnastics mat. I had one of those at the bottom of the slide for Once Upon a Mattress if we go that route this time I'll definitely add one in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back