Wireless Sennheiser EW 122 G# beltpack issue...

artdeco18

We bought 12 about 2 years ago and they have run problem free since then. They don't get used a lot and the receivers are built into roadcases and use the antenna splitter. We had one of the beltpacks crap out at christmas and I figured it was the result of being dropped. However, we lost two more during the last show we ran. I thought it may have been an antenna issue so took them apart to check the connection to the circuit board. When I pulled the boards out of the case on all three of them there was a cream coloured goo on the same place on the board.. it looked like something had melted..

We have 12 G1 mics that are over 10 years old and if wasn't for them being on the 700 band we'd still be using them... It was surprising to have this happen to three of the new ones 2 years after they were purchased.

I've emailed Sennheiser about the issue but am curious to know if anyone else has had this happen?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Could be a blown capacitor (though they leak kind of a gray stuff) or a leaky battery. Is the "stuff" towards the bottom of the pack? Could be a sweat build up. Are you bagging/condoming your mic packs?

it's not from the batteries. We don't leave batteries in the beltpacks when they aren't in use. the issue is happening right on the circuit board. I'd take a picture of it, but I cleaned the goop up with alcohol to have a better look. I'll probably have to wait for Sennheiser to tell me what the problem is... It just stood to reason though that if it happened to three beltpacks... that's a 25% failure rate so was thinking either the techs are doing something wrong... it's a bad component lot.. or a common issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back