Sennheiser EW Comparison

AlexDavila

As the primary audio tech student, I am assisting my university in researching new wireless for the theatre department. We already have a collection of Sennheiser G2 ew 300s/ew 500s, so I'm looking into the newer G3 line. Could anyone explain how the G3 ew100/300/500's are different from eachother? The only thing I've noted so far is the inclusion of a monitor port on the front of the 300/500 as well as the inclusion of an ethernet port for use with the WSM software. What is the justification for the price difference?

Further, I vaguely remember reading that some Countryman mics that were manufactured before the G3 system was released needed to be reterminated to work with the new system. Does this apply to the B3 line, as this is the mic we primarily use with the transmitters.

Thanks, A

Slight dynamic range improvements, EQ range, battery life improvements, but honestly, it's very minimal between the models. But that does not mean unnoticeable. They all use the same compander with slightly different results.

I'm not aware of a G2/G3 pin-out change from Sennheiser in the ew product line. The 2000 series uses a LEMO connector rather than a locking TRS but that's not strictly the ew product line.

I believe the big difference is the selectivity of the receivers. Each step up in price allows more systems per vacant TV channel, because the frequencies can be closer together without interference. The change is to the receiver IF filter sections, which are costly improvements. This is generally true for all wireless mic systems. More money means better receiver RF performance, not necessarily better sound or more features. If you need to run a large number of systems, or you have a congested RF environment, the higher price is worth it.

Besides what everyone else has said is something you only touched on: The Ethernet port and use with WSM software. This is HUGE if you're in a congested area and especially if these are going to be portable. I try to take only the 300 series or better with me to NYC, and definitely if I'm going into Times Square or the Theatre District. Kansas City might not be necessary for the extended range and ability to see exactly what frequencies are being used in the area. For me, WSM is the ONLY reason to get the 300 series, but when you need it you better have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back