Sound f/x SFX Hardware?

I'm stepping into a new gig, with SFX already installed on the computer. Don't I need a piece of hardware to make the connection from the computer/program to the multiple channels of the board? I'm wanting to do several different outputs in SFX (like it is meant to do) but currently I can only send out the left/right of the computer output jack.

Is there a piece of hardware (ex. rack mounth) that would act as a sort of splitter that takes a USB or something and divides it accordingly into the 6 or so unique channels?

You need an audio interface, they come in all shapes and sizes, from $30 up, FireWire and USB. Try google.

Yes, you will need a multi channel sound card. There are many many different varieties. I have had good luck with the Audiofire cards, as well as M-Audio, and Presonus.

If this will be the only input to your mixer, you may not even need to use your board. Depending on your set up you might be able to just connect your sound card to tie lines to your amps. I am always a fan of keeping a set up as simple as possible. Just something you can look into if you wish.

~Dave

Just wanted to add that when recently looking at new laptops it appeared as though FireWire and card slots are being replaced by USB 3.0 and eSATA other than in the Mac world. Don't know if that could impact any audio interface decisions for other but I know that for me it meant either narrowing the laptop choices down to one of the few available that could support FireWire, which could be a shorter term solution if this trend in connectivity continues, or getting a new interface along with a new laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back