Something I saw in BSR E1.6-4 - 201x

porkchop

I was reading over the BSR E1.6-4 - 201x, Portable Control of Fixed-Speed Electric Chain Hoists in the Entertainment Industry standard that's in review right now and I saw one line item that I thought was unintentionally tricky:

6.2 A grounding terminal or grounding type device shall not be used for purposes other than grounding.

Would this mean that CM would have to stop using Aircraft cable for the ground in their control cables? I think it's a good idea to have it in there. The aircraft cable does a similar purpose as the support strands described later for single power/control cable systems described here:

8.2.4...It shall be acceptable to have center core filler that eliminates any conductor from stress of movement. Support strands shall be acceptable as center filler.

Since it is insulated and made out of metal it is conducting and can serve as a grounding wire. I'm pretty sure Underwriters Laboratories signed off on that. But being a support strand seems to be an additional purpose other than grounding.

Thoughts anyone?

...Would this mean that CM would have to stop using Aircraft cable for the ground in their control cables? ... But being a support strand seems to be an additional purpose other than grounding.
Wire or cable does not constitute "A grounding terminal or grounding type device". I think what they're saying is you can't use the grounding terminal to attach your chain bag, among other things.

Related?
... I also amongst other specific applications will crimp and solder a motor cable whip given ours have both a wire rope core for strength and a ground wire going to the center pin of the 7-pin Veam CIR plug. Something about 1/16" wire rope when crimped with a 16ga copper wire makes me want to help reinforce the copper as much as possible due to the crushing pressure involved with crimping the wire rope to the pin. For this like with all Socopex pins I’m using an expensive 4-indent crimp tool instead of soldering. It does a much better job of providing a balanced pressure on the wire while it does not damage the pin. ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back