Sonotube/Carpet Tube spiral woes

CBR372

Hey guys, i've got a buddy who's looking to design a show with a bunch of pipes. He has a ton of carpet tube and sonotube but most have the classic spiral down the tube (much akin to a paper towel roll).Does any one have any good ideas of how to get rid of the swirls?

joint compound or plaster of paris and a lot of sanding, that or cover them with muslin.

If you're going to do any distressing or breaking down with paint, a lot of that will disappear as well, so don't panic if you can still "kinda" see the spiral after the first coat.

It's tough, but with a lot of power sanding and some Bondo, I've gotten the spirals to mostly disappear. It is a lot of labor time though. Still, it beats any alternative for large pipes, especially if you already have the materials.

VSSSD
it works for me.

I have covered them with a layer of styrofoam with my seam on the upstage side. To make the foam bend easily, I routed grooves in the foam, which added flutes to my columns for free.

Talk to the designer and see if there is an acceptable fabric or vinyl to cover them with. If possible just wrap and staple on the upstage side. If both sides are seen glue and trim with a razor blade.

Bondo works great but it is a LOT of labor to eliminate them entirely. You can make the finish like glass. I have filled miles of spirals on my high power rockets. Here is a video of a guy using epoxy putty which is fine but the same technique with bondo is way faster.
How to Fill Spirals In Body Tubes

I'd go with what Van suggested, which is basically a homemade scultp-or-coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back