Squeaky Hinge

Sprying the hinge with vinegar will ofen help speed the rusting process. Installing it slightly tweaked will help, put a washer under part of it and torque the screws down hard to warp the plate a little. Pull the pin scrub it with degreaser and steel wool, then tap the barrels lightly with a hammer to make them slightly out of round.
There's a few that I've done in the past.

Just spray on some WD-40 and it- oh, I see. I suggest lightly sanding/filing all the surfaces that contact the pin or the other half of the hinge before soaking the entire in salt water for a while. It should be good and rusty in no time.

Depending on the size and configuration of your stage and auditorium, the placement of the door on the stage, curtains, etc. You might find a real squeaking hinge does indeed sound better......except no one can hear it! You might need to mic it, to be heard. Some other methods I have heard about, but never used myself, so YMMV, :
String, waxed and rosined, or a wire wound guitar string, attached to the door (out of sight), small weight, string hangs over the edge of a (different things depending on which method is being told) rusty rod, hardwood slat, guitar or violin string stretched tight. HTH.

Make sure to get a steel hinge though, many are aluminum and that won't rust.....bring a magnet with to check. If it sticks you should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back