Automated Fixtures Standard power procedures - Moving Lights

FlashBang

Recently started using moving lights. I'm wondering how most venues deal with turning the units on and off. It seems to me that large venues would be unlikely to send someone around flipping switches in hard to reach places.

One solution I thought of was having all power run through floor-level power strips at some point to provide an easy kill switch - or perhaps just flipping the circuit breaker - but these seem like pretty "dirty" solutions.

So?

We have a number of GPO's which can be switched on & off at the stage managers console. We use these to power on & off LED's and movers.
yes it definitely saves climbing to various places to turn off switches.!
Be mindful that depending on the mover that it may have a power off requirement , i.e. turn lamp off for 5 mins with fan running, before powering down.
Also that the Power ON current draw may be large depending on the units, and you may have to stagger their lamp strike to minimise the chance of a breaker popping.

We've used non-dims in our electrics/catwalks before. I've also put them on relay modules set to turn on when DMX signal is present, and off when there was no DMX. I liked the latter better, because parents trying to make sure work lights (switches next to the non dims) were off, would inadvertently shut of my other fixtures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use 120v units and power them off of relays in our Sensor dimmer racks. Our Unison architectural LCD controllers have a code activated page that allows powering on/off of the appropriate circuits, which is usually a rep plot configuration thus the power circuits don't change. Having them on the Unison system as opposed to activating via the main lighting console is helpful as I can then power down the console (which shuts off the DMX), which then de-strikes the lamps, but keeps the fans running until I power off.

For our current Dept. of Theater hang, it has 12 movers on 5 different electrics, thus the circuits change. I moved around a lot of relays to provide power and have them on a console channel that we will Park on/off, so Unison will not get used for this purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back