Sticky Keys... solutions?

I have an old, but still almost wonderfully functioning ETC Express 24/48, which is perfect for the venue it's in, works like a tank, and... you know the console.

However, recently I've had some problems with keypresses. Some of the commonly pressed keys will only work if you strike them JUST RIGHT. Not too hard, not too soft, not too long, not too short. If you're patient and slow down a little in your programming, it's okay, but it's driving some of my volunteer operators nuts (especially since the "stage works off" macro) is one of the buttons thus affected.

I was thinking of taking off the keys and using come electrical contact cleaner to get rid of years of grime, but I'm wondering if any of you have run into the same problem and found a better solution.

A proper detailed cleaning will do a lot of help. I have a perfectly working Strand Lightboard M at one community theatre here simply because every few years I take the console apart and clean it properly.

You have to literally dismantle the keys assembly, and fastidiously clean each key and contact point. Been awhile since i've seen the inside of an Express...
I usually use GOOD contact cleaner in certain applications, but usually I find rubbing alcohol works great. It depends on how the particular key works and whats going on with it. Some keys require the 'pad' on the underside of the key to contact on the board between the solider mask, this pad with some keys becomes worn down over time and is less likely to make contact so no amount of cleaning will help.
Depending on cleaning method you may actually make the problem worse.

Make sure to use nothing that will leave a conductive or insulating residue. Or anything that may adversely damage the components.

Some members could probably go into much more specific detail (i am certain).

The key factor in my opinion is NOT to simply partially open up and douse with contact cleaner and leave be. you have to pull it apart and put it back together for the best effect. Therefore it is often advantageous to get someone who does this on a more regular basis to do it. Don't want to make your console WORSE for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back