Control/Dimming Strand 300 timing

VCTMike

Does anyone know if there is a setup option to alter the DMX timing on a Strand 300? After searching the manual I haven't located any screen setting for it - only configuration of channels and outputs. I'm having what appears to be a timing issue with some shoe-box dimmers. I've got 2x 300W PAR 56's on a channel and occasionally I get some flicker on the lights - even at nearly 90% on the output. I don't think it's load related (the dimmers are 600W/channel). It does not follow a specific dimmer pack and occurs no matter what dimmer channel on the pack I've tried. I've swapped known good cables (they are not audio XLRs but actual DMX) and re-routed the bus section (placing the dimmers in different places in the string). I'm using an Elation opto splitter ahead of the string section. The DMX chain is from the Strand to a string of 4 shoebox packs on the mezzanine (which also seem to flicker sometimes) then to the Elation down on SL and then to the electrics. Each string is terminated properly. It also happens with only one dimer pack on the string. The only thing I can think remains is the dimmers themselves (quantity 12 using two or three different manufacturers) or the Elation which I'll bypass today to see if it somehow is causing it. The dimmers are low end DJ type and they are probably not liking the timing coming from the Strand. I can't afford a to replace them or obtain a merger/re-timing module at this time but the occasional random hiccup is annoying and totally unprofessional. Our longer term solution is to install a rack of dimmers with multicable and/or cable raceways but it's at least a year away. I do have a SN102 network node I can probably move to the stage to use as a second DMX source as well to further split the busses up. Thoughts?

Years ago our solution to a similar issue with a Strand 520 was running the output through an (in our case) ETC converter/opto splitter. The Strand CD80 Paks downstream were happier and flicker free this way.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back