Strobe Lights

Hmm. Someone had mentioned wireless DMX, but I would imagine that being expensive and relatively unreliable...

Wireless DMX is an option, I have had good luck with it in the past. There is however a saying in the theatre world that states "The most expensive wireless DMX system is only as reliable as the cheapest DMX cable." I am not so sure how true this statement is as I had no problems when I used it in the past.

One problem if I recall correctly is that ETCNet1 does not do DMX. I do believe that ETCNet1 only provides device feedback to the console for things like AF dimmers where it can report dimmer load and things of that nature. It still requires a direct DMX line to actually control the dimmers themselves. Therefore ETCNet1 on the express would basically be useless in this situation. DMX over ethernet was not introduced until ETCNet2 I do believe (Someone please correct me if I am wrong.)

First of all, for feedback from from dimmers, etc, that is ETCLink. Completely different. Secondly, like I already said, a Net2 node can be configured for Net1 and will emulate the output of the board (for an Express that means 2 universes and RFU). Here is a quote from the DMX Node manual, page 1.
The operating features of the ETCNet2 DMX Node (DMX Node) depend
upon the lighting control system used in the network, the network
protocol and the node’s configuration.
1. When used in a network with systems in the Expression® family,
system software must be version 3.1 or later and the network must
operate under the Net1 protocol (defined below).
2. When used in a network with an Obsession® II system, system
software must be version 4.4.2 or later and the network must
operate under the Net2 protocol (defined below).
emphasis added

and the mentioned "below"
[Net1] The DMX Node can be configured to operate under ETC’s original
network protocol, ETCNet (Net1). When operating under Net1, the DMX
Node acts like ETC’s Remote Interface Unit (RIU) in supporting up to three
DMX512 output ports (only two for Express systems) and an RFU port. It
does not mimic the RIU’s support of video or keyboard functions.

I'm not saying it is the most practical solution. But it would work. Personally, I would just run a 100' (or whatever) DMX cable. I do it all the time.

-Tim

Ah, it seems I confused ETCNet1 with ETCLink. I stand corrected...even so, I would still just run one long DMX line, as it would be much cheaper than buying Net Nodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back