The future of props and scenic details is here: Meet MakerBot

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I've been sick and listening to lots of coverage of CES over the last week. Perhaps the coolest thing out I heard about is MakerBot It "Prints" 3 dimensional objects out of ABS plastic up to 4"x4"x6". Create a 3-D image in a computer and press print and less than 4 hours you'll have a plastic copy of it. You can have your own for a little over $1200 so it's actually affordable so with a little saving even a small shop could potentially afford one.

When people create a design they upload it to share in the "Thingverse". There are lot's of cool projects out there waiting for you to "print".

Upon further reading it looks like you can even import things to print out of the vast archives of the Google Sketchup 3D Warehouse AND out of Google Earth.

Last edited:
I can't think of too many useful things that would be that dimension for me. Plus the cost of the machine and the rolls of plastic just doesn't seem beneficial to me.

It has its neat factor, but just like mist open source stuff has a headache factor. On top of that don't you have to assemble the machine your self or is that just one model.

I too am excited about the prospect of 3D printing technology for prop-making. This past summer I finally saw the Maker-bot, and several other of the "hobby" 3d printers, in action, and I was a little disappointed. The resolution is fairly limited (the objects look like they are wrapped in spaghetti) and it would take a lot of clean up to get a smooth surface. For a prop shop, the cost of the machine and the time it takes to prepare the drawing for the software combined with the time it takes to sand and prep the final piece could easily make a piece more expensive then having one of your talented artisans sculpt it by hand.

That said, the ShopBot line of CNC machines keep getting more advanced and less expensive (though the smallest complete package is still $8000). I saw them making stuff as complicated as this guy:

loehman turning by campshopbot, on Flickr

Saw this on the CES coverage too. Really cool.

There have been all sorts of 3d prototyping and programmable lathes along with other CAD-CAM solutions that would be REALLY SWEET for propsmaking. However they have never been particularly cost-effective.

Really cool to see one made from opensource ideas, to make a small cost-effective unit. Also since you put it together yourself it saves cost.

There are lots of ways you could make one yourself, if you check out The Ben Heck Show Revision3 > The Ben Heck Show he's demonstrated it to a degree. Really cool show anyways.

Imagine some of the things that could be done quicker and more consistently with this or similar devices. Some pretty cool stuff out there.

I made a RepRap Mendal (like a maker bot but cheaper.) the total price was about $800. I have made a few props but I use it for modeling the designs. If they are programmed correctly they can make things very smooth. The big issue is most use a .5MM extruder. If you drop back to a .4MM extruder you get some really clean stuff. the nice thing with the reprap is all the software is open source. also you can change and modify it to do what you want. I am about to add a second extruder to mine so i can print two different materials at once. here is the website where you can make your own. RepRapWiki
proxy.php

I can't think of too many useful things that would be that dimension for me.

I think there are a bazillion potential applications.

-Costume shop could make all the funky custom buttons they desire.
-Children's theater productions with weird costume props and things attached to costumes. Go nuts!
-Scenics could add all kinds of fine detail work to crown molding, create hundreds of widgets to scatter around the set for some abstract piece, what about abstract door knobs?
-It's a set decorator's dream come true. Instead of spending hours driving around town to find the perfect nicknack collection you can just print them.
-Seems like props would benefit the most. Think of all those weird projects where you take a normal thing and try to make it look unusual... this would be a great way to add the perfect accents. Need a cool sword hilt or need to add an elaborate decoration to the back of a chair?

Anyone who uses molds and casting to make stuff for sets could benefit a lot from this device and things it will lead to down the road.

Also one of the best parts for me is that it can make broken parts. How many times have you thrown out a tool that died because of one broken plastic part. Now you can make one and get it working again. not to mention design applications to make moving parts in scale so you can model them before working on the full sized job. also the RepRap can make parts for itself. it is designed so you can print the parts and give them to a friend to make his own.

I think there are a bazillion potential applications.

-Costume shop could make all the funky custom buttons they desire.
-Children's theater productions with weird costume props and things attached to costumes. Go nuts!
-Scenics could add all kinds of fine detail work to crown molding, create hundreds of widgets to scatter around the set for some abstract piece, what about abstract door knobs?
-It's a set decorator's dream come true. Instead of spending hours driving around town to find the perfect nicknack collection you can just print them.
-Seems like props would benefit the most. Think of all those weird projects where you take a normal thing and try to make it look unusual... this would be a great way to add the perfect accents. Need a cool sword hilt or need to add an elaborate decoration to the back of a chair?

Anyone who uses molds and casting to make stuff for sets could benefit a lot from this device and things it will lead to down the road.

Little Seussical isn't it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back