Trap Door

Our High School has a set of stairs about three feet tall with a trap door on the top landing. In the past, we haven't needed to use the door, but now we need to. This requires us to open and close it swiftly, without injuring the actors. We also need it to be safe to stand on, while still being able to open. Ideas?

How do you need the trap door to function? Disappearing actor? Magically appearing actor? Is it hinged? Does it open up or down? How is it currently held in place?

How do you need the trap door to function? Disappearing actor? Magically appearing actor? Is it hinged? Does it open up or down? How is it currently held in place?

It opens down, and we need an actor to be able to appear and disappear through it. It was held on by a single 2x4 and screws. Yes it is hinged.

Having been under - in the trap room - a trap that failed and an actress unexpectedly disappearing from the stage - my view is hardware is key. I'd suggest you need a stage hand under the stairs to open and close the trap, including a means to secure it closed, and a spotter to assure no one will be on it or approaching when it's to be opened. Secure with a steel bar or 2x4 in some sort of brackets or socket. Please check the hinge attachment and be sure it can't fail/pull out.

Now, you probably knew all that, so what did I gloss over you were really wanting help on.

Honestly the potential pitfalls I see have way more to do with how you do the effect. Making the trap functional while still physically strong enough to stand on is a problem that can be solved with a trip to a good hardware supply store. It's once you get it built that I have some serious questions.
Who opens the door? Who closes the door? How do you communicate to the actors that it is safe to stand on the trap? Is there enough room underneath the trap for the actor to disappear and still get the door closed fast enough without hitting them?
I'm not trying to discourage you from trying this effect, but if you want to make it happen safely you need to sit down with all of the technicians involved (and your teacher it appears) and discuss how to make it work in your specific situation. Honestly lately I've spent more time in these kind of process planning meetings lately than anything that resembles performing a show. Ask questions like: "Who's responsibility is it to make sure the trap is safe to walk on?", "What's the backup if the trap isn't safe?" , "Does anyone see anything in the design that they are not confident will work safely?".

The last on I did on 40" high deck was hinged under deck, the top sheet of 3/4 plywood bolted and through.
It dropped down. It was held up by two 1 5/8 unistrut sliding perpendicular through the joists, 12" on ctr. Just below the ply with a saftey bolt an each end. A ldder(just the rung side) was carried into place, hung using verticle j bar hooking over the plywood...
Let's say it slower. Com 1 "clear to drop lid. Com 2 "bars pulled back. We are lowering lid. Ladder is up the hole and safetly hung." Com 1 actors aproaching. Com 2 "assisting down and clear. Hatch up, locked. Safe to use." Com 1 signals all clear to cast.

Yes it's a lot of commication , but safe. We rehearsed that one many times untill the crew and the actress with th black pointy hat did it right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back