Automated Fixtures Uncontrollable Mover

kwhite177

Hi, I'm an up and coming LD having some issues with a mover. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on the next step I should take.

The fixture in question is a Deliya Vision 575 Spot. (I know they're not the best fixtures...but it's what I have)
When I turn it on everything works properly and the fixture runs through the test sequences without a problem. When I plug DMX in, the flashing address stops blinking (indicating that it is receiving signal). But the fixture will not respond to any command I give it from my board. I have also run DMX out to another fixture and have had no problems with the second light.

I have taken off all of the external shell pieces, cleaned the dust out, inspected all wire connections and even switched out the main board with the LED display with the board from another working mover. Still nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Im sure you have checked it, but I would double check patch and make sure things are correct. You did say another fixture worked ok. Are they the same channel/address/patch?

Hi, I'm an up and coming LD having some issues with a mover. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on the next step I should take.

The fixture in question is a Deliya Vision 575 Spot. (I know they're not the best fixtures...but it's what I have)
When I turn it on everything works properly and the fixture runs through the test sequences without a problem. When I plug DMX in, the flashing address stops blinking (indicating that it is receiving signal). But the fixture will not respond to any command I give it from my board. I have also run DMX out to another fixture and have had no problems with the second light.

I have taken off all of the external shell pieces, cleaned the dust out, inspected all wire connections and even switched out the main board with the LED display with the board from another working mover. Still nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

I'd put fixture #2 on the same address and mode, and plug the dmx from the "uncontrollable" unit into that unit. If the problem appears with #2 it's not the mover. If it doesn't most likely the problem is in the unit.

Is there a separate pcb that the dmx going into the fixture goes to before the main board (logic)? If so I'd swap that with a known good. Also (with the fixture off/ dmx unplugged) check continuity from the dmx port to wherever it enters a pcb (back side of the pcb probably has solder points for the leads of the wires/connector that you can use as your second meter point).

"#2" works fine on the same adress receiving DMX from "uncontrollable."
I have checked continuity to from the DMX to the main board and it is fine. There are two pcb's after the main board. I will try swapping those out with working boards from another fixture.

"#2" works fine on the same adress receiving DMX from "uncontrollable."
I have checked continuity to from the DMX to the main board and it is fine. There are two pcb's after the main board. I will try swapping those out with working boards from another fixture.

Since the unit is homing properly I don't think that a board after the main board would be the problem. That is assuming by after you mean one that's between the main board and motors/sensors in the signal path.

Have you verified that the connections for the port are to the same points as on the working unit (ex somebody didn't connect/wire a connector backwards)? It almost sounds like a DMX polarity issue... but that would mean neither fixture would work unless the unit is somehow swapped internally.

Have you verified modes on the unit (extended, ect)? I believe that data would be stored on the main board and therefore travel with it (or be lost if it's in volatile memory)

Opps. You posted while I posted. Check the modes, and verify the SAME wire is connected to the SAME places in both units. I've seem that before where someone puts a unit back together wrong.

If the connection from the port is connector based, try sitting the two fixtures next to each other and cross plugging that. If all boards have been swapped with known good, and the cables are known good (you did plug the good unit into the SAME dmx cable the bad one was plugged into or vise versa, right), then that means there has to be a physical issue with the cabling or port. Only other thing I can think of is a software/firmware issue....

Opps. You posted while I posted. Check the modes, and verify the SAME wire is connected to the SAME places in both units. I've seem that before where someone puts a unit back together wrong.

If the connection from the port is connector based, try sitting the two fixtures next to each other and cross plugging that. If all boards have been swapped with known good, and the cables are known good (you did plug the good unit into the SAME dmx cable the bad one was plugged into or vise versa, right), then that means there has to be a physical issue with the cabling or port. Only other thing I can think of is a software/firmware issue....

All dmx and power cables have been fully tested.
I have been the only one to do any sort of cleaning or repairs on the unit for the last 6 months and have had the unit in question working before. The only repair this mover has had in that time period is a replaced ballast. I checked the input and output voltage against the working unit and both are within working voltages. Nothing unusual (that I know of) happened to it while it was cased up between shows.

Sounds like an issue with the DMX input. Often DMX inputs are bussed together so they will pass data along the daisy chain even if there is a problem with data within the unit. If you can, I'd change anything relating to DMX input for the main board. Continuity is a good test, but with digital signals like DMX that doesn't always tell you what you need to know. Also just as a dummy check make sure you don't have the fixture in a DMX mode that is different than what you patched.

This is a total long shot, but meter N-G voltage on your power. I had a friend that found an issue with the building power having like 12V between N-G and it was freaking out some units. Actually while you're at it check all your power voltages.

Also check the units PSU voltages. There could potentially be a rail thats off and only affecting the certain circuits/chips that use it.

*All standard safety practices still apply-- if you don't know how to do this don't*

Last edited:
Is the uncontrollable unit striking its lamp? If the lamp is not firing up some units will not respond. Since the ballast area was worked on, I figured I would ask.

This type of question comes up often enough that maybe a flow chart for troubleshooting should be created?

It would be two different flow charts, invasive and noninvasive. I know little about the insides of a mover so I would do everything I can before I open a case, besides the fact that I use all rental gear so I would do little inside another guy's gear. If you are on a tour or own the gear you will be quicker to open the case.

Problem I see is each issue would have a somewhat different flow chart. Obviously you won't troubleshoot a light that won't turn on in the same way as a light that won't respond to DMX. Also you might need different "levels" of invasiveness-- there's very rarely a situation I'd worry much about pulling off a cover to visually check something, but I'm unlikely to pull apart a fixture unless it's one of ours/I have permission from the shop/ect.

That said perhaps a collaborative article/flowchart for common issues (won't turn on, won't strike lamp, won't respond to DMX, shutting off, lamp not staying struck, issue with a specific effect, ect) would be helpful. Perhaps make it so the more "invasive" steps are optional/skipped if the person is not in a position to do them/doesn't have the experience.

I made a flowchart for an uncontrollable light, inconsistent or generally freaky light I am assuming it is a light that strikes. I agree with LavaASU, there can be multiple flowcharts but this is a basics that works for me. There are sometimes things added or subtracted if I think I can jump steps.
This flowchart assumes the system is terminated and run with DMX compliant cable. For me most of my troubleshooting is on rental gear, sometimes on gear owned by the contractor, so usually I am not going to crack a case. I am going to check everything in the system, then replace the light.

Moving light Troubleshooting Flowchart:

1. Check DMX address.
A. Check the plot for correct address
B. Check the patch on the board
C. Check the address on the light itself
D. Check function modes to make sure it is in DMX mode. Not applicable with many movers
1. Verify that the profile (personality file) in the console is correct
2. Verify that the fixture is in the same mode (same # of channels, 8b vs. 16b, etc.)
E. Address another light of similar type that is working to see if the address is a possible overlap
1. Address the recalcitrant unit to the same address as a known-good/functioning unit
2. Do they both do exactly the dame thing?​

2. Check plugs, power and DMX
A. Check display for errors and functions without DMX commands​

3. Remove the DMX and plug together to see if everything else works beyond it

4. Re-plug the affected light and repeat Step 3 on the preceding light to see if it is getting proper signal into the light.

5. Replace surrounding cables

6. If it can be done easily run a single cable to the splitter or board to isolate all cabling before it

7. Replace the light

8. Open the case and start the invasive flowchart

[-]For some reason the formatting won't hold. It looks fine until I post, sorry.[/-]

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking more of a dmx troubleshooting chart. Opening the fixture is another kettle of fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back