Upgrading controllers

Wade

We have an old Lehigh ALX. It needs to be replaced. Can this old controller be replaced or upgraded with something newer or better?

Cursory research shows Lehigh ALX is a dimming system, not a controller. Since the dimmers accept DMX512, you can use anything from an $80,000 grandMA2 to a $99 Chauvet OBEY40 for control.

Why does the existing system "need to be replaced"? How is it not doing what is expected?

What are you trying to accomplish/control, what is your application, and who is your user (a programmer, a teacher, a regular lightboard op, a janitor?)

Cursory research shows Lehigh ALX is a dimming system, not a controller. Since the dimmers accept DMX512, you can use anything from an $80,000 grandMA2 to a $99 Chauvet OBEY40 for control.

Why does the existing system "need to be replaced"? How is it not doing what is expected?
Ahhh. A dimmer. (I'm a little dim, myself.) The controls at the master all froze. I spent a lot of time on the phone with someone from Lehigh. We tried a lot of things, and he finally said to pack it up and send it in. I haven't mailed it in, yet. I'm looking for options. I need to know if all the newer DMX can be adapted in some way? Is DMX only for LCD? Where can I find out how to wire it? And all that kind of stuff.

Ahhh. A dimmer. (I'm a little dim, myself.) The controls at the master all froze. I spent a lot of time on the phone with someone from Lehigh. We tried a lot of things, and he finally said to pack it up and send it in. I haven't mailed it in, yet. I'm looking for options. I need to know if all the newer DMX can be adapted in some way? Is DMX only for LCD? Where can I find out how to wire it? And all that kind of stuff.

Some actual model numbers would help a lot. Can't tell if you are talking about a remote (wall plate station) , a rack controller (on the dimmer rack), or an actual console (light board). Or does your installation have some combination of these? Did you mean L E D instead of L C D? If it is a Lehigh system, it could be running on their proprietary "Ovation" protocol or it could be running on standard DMX. How about some photos of the wall station, console, rear of console, and dimmer rack?
If Lehigh can fix the problem for say $150, do you need a new system?

Some actual model numbers would help a lot. Can't tell if you are talking about a remote (wall plate station) , a rack controller (on the dimmer rack), or an actual console (light board). Or does your installation have some combination of these? Did you mean L E D instead of L C D? If it is a Lehigh system, it could be running on their proprietary "Ovation" protocol or it could be running on standard DMX. How about some photos of the wall station, console, rear of console, and dimmer rack?
If Lehigh can fix the problem for say $150, do you need a new system?

We have a Lehigh CPM Programable Station and two remote wall switches.

We have a Lehigh CPM Programable Station and two remote wall switches.
So does it look like this:
LehighCollage.jpg

What are you trying to accomplish/control, what is your application, and who is your user (a programmer, a teacher, a regular lightboard op, a janitor?)
I'm closest to "Janitor". (No offense taken.) I'm just the old retired guy who has time to deal with something I know little about. I have been told that I can use another master dimmer but I can't find information on how to go from 3 wires to 6. There are two remote switches that haven't worked for a long time. Probably don't need them. What we really need a programmable master dimmer with about a dozen channels. (One a janitor can operate.)

It sounds as though you are just talking about what we call 'architectural' controls or wall stations, rather than performance consoles (lighting desks). FYI the dimmer is the big rack and everything else is some kind of remote control. The wires required involve both low voltage power and signal wires. Various manufacturers have proprietary systems (some have several) and there are some 3rd party devices that rely on DMX but they require power as well, so wiring will depend on the exact solution.

Usually there is some memory recording going on with these stations. Do you have a performance style console? If so that can be the part of recording commonly used settings. If not then some sort of software or very complex button pressing is needed, which is how your current system works. Off the top of my head I can't come up with a 12 fader wall box that is DMX. Lightronics has a 10 fader one and DFD has an 8 fader one. Both can control all 512 DMX address, just in those few groups. Do you need individual control of all 12 dimmers? Do you really have just 12??

I agree that if you can send in the master device and get it repaired that's the best and cheapest route. A new 12 channel system with a controller like that could easily be $5,000-$20,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back