Used lighting

As an alternative I was also looking into some of Chauvets DJ series stuff. LED Qspots, Intimidator, and XYZ's. Anybody have any experience with these? How long is the lifespan? I can afford to buy these new, or I can go the route of getting older martins or HES used.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I have both the Q-Spot 150 LED and Q-Spot 260 LED in the rental department and couldn't be happier. These fixtures are smooth performers with exceptional output and feature sets.

When a 60w LED, 29 pound fixture offers the output of a MSD250, 55 pound fixture, it's almost a no brainer.

While some of Chauvet's LED stuff is not too bad, they've had problems with DMX compatibility and other issues. It's DJ quality gear, which means color matching is not going to be as good, and although some of their line is nice, a lot is junk.

I'd recommend Elation's LED line if you're looking for something reliable to fill the gap between DJ and full out expensive pro gear (although it's all washes, not profiles).

I'd be wary of a "2 day warranty." Anything I sell, even used, comes with at LEAST a 30 day warranty. If they're giving you a 2 day warranty, it probably means they don't know if they'll hold together or not... which probably means they haven't been well maintained. Even if you ship it back, you're still going to have to go through the hassle... and if 2 break, you ship them back and end up with half your budget back to... buy 1 more different fixture?

Also to note, if you find a bunch of something on a used site, be wary. That generally screams "bad product." My quality used gear is most of the time still in my hang! The only time I generally sell stuff is if I'm replacing it or if I have a few pieces that don't fit.

It may be a little late to ask, but is there an extended warranty available from the seller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back