Using an FM Transmitter for Grad Sound (In Canada)

seanandkate

Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
So my principal is already starting to talk about what the graduation ceremony will look like, and he seems to be going in the direction of a drive-in kinda thing where families can stay in their cars in the school parking lot. I thought that it would be WAY easier to transmit the ceremony sound to their car radios than to cover the same area with a PA.

I'm discovering that you need a license for even the smallest transmitter, and trying to wade through the CRTC web page is like being caught in a rip tide. Tons of stuff if I want to open my own radio station or start a TV channel, but I couldn't find anything for this particular application. Any of my fellow Canucks out there dealt with the paperwork involved with this recently and could walk me through it? (Or tell me that the Class of '23 will retire before I'll get the appropriate paperwork processed...)

So my principal is already starting to talk about what the graduation ceremony will look like, and he seems to be going in the direction of a drive-in kinda thing where families can stay in their cars in the school parking lot. I thought that it would be WAY easier to transmit the ceremony sound to their car radios than to cover the same area with a PA.

I'm discovering that you need a license for even the smallest transmitter, and trying to wade through the CRTC web page is like being caught in a rip tide. Tons of stuff if I want to open my own radio station or start a TV channel, but I couldn't find anything for this particular application. Any of my fellow Canucks out there dealt with the paperwork involved with this recently and could walk me through it? (Or tell me that the Class of '23 will retire before I'll get the appropriate paperwork processed...)
I'm neither shouting this out loud, nor actually posting it (If you think you're reading this here on Control Booth you're mistaken).
You might consider transmitters marketed for folks going all out for Halloween and / or Christmas.
Avoid frequencies which knowingly could / would interfere with licensed commercial broadcasters in your area then (quietly) spread word of where to tune in, rather than posting it PROMINENTLY.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

In Canada? (whispering) Decade Transmitters.

In the US, there is no way to do this legally, yet it happens. It was so popular last spring that both legal and illegal transmitters were sold out. The FCC seems to be uninterested as long as the transmitter isn't putting out garbage that is interfering with aviation bands, interfering with a licensed station, or staying on the air permanently.

I know nothing about the CRTC, but I imagine they are taking the same approach. Buy a quality transmitter (not from eBay), keep it under 1 Watt, and find a channel with nothing but weak or no signal +/- 0.4 MHz on both sides of it, and it's unlikely you'll get anyone's attention. It doesn't take much power to do the job, especially if the antenna has a little elevation.

The other option would be to see if a local radio station would broadcast the graduation. I would start checking with small, AM stations.

In Canada? (whispering) Decade Transmitters.

Message to Decade Transmitters sent. It looks like they also take care of the licensing for you. Thanks all -- I'm way ahead of where I was yesterday.

Hey a Canada Specific question!
I've done some stuff with FM transmission in the past. Once I worked with an existing licence holder (FM radio station, this was for an airshow).
Of course if under a certain power level (very low I admit) and I forget the number but I had dug all this up earlier in the Pandemic... Generally work with a company that already does this and let them handle it and you'll be ok, and of course you have to make sure you don't trample over licence holders in your area. Seem to remember RP Dynamics, Horizon Solutions and a few other companies also having FM transmitters. Sounds like you've already made such a contact so YAY, hope everything goes well...
I was looking at doing something back last August or September but we decided against it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back