Design Vectorworks: Print across multiple pages

DanBlaze

Hey guys,

I'm a High School Junior, and and doing a show. I decided to use vectorworks this time around, because I wanted to experience professional plotting software. Now, my problem is that I do not own a printer that can print on large paper, and my school doesn't have a printer that I am allowed to use. I do not mind how professional it looks, just that it is printed out on paper. I know that on a standard 8.5"x11, it will be too cramped. Now how does one go about printing it across multiple 8.5"x11" paper, that can be taped together later?

Thanks!

That's more of a printer issue. On my printer, you can do what is called poster printing, and it will automatically separate the pages. Look around on the settings for your printer. If YOUR printer doesn't work or have poster printing, even the schools normal printers (like the ones in the media center or library..whatever) might have the poster printing. Print it to a PDF on your computer (use cutePDF it's free google it), and print it to whatever size (keep the PDF that 40" size paper) and then take it to school...email it to yourself...whatever...and then print it on the schools normal printers using poster printing.

Hey guys,

I'm a High School Junior, and and doing a show. I decided to use vectorworks this time around, because I wanted to experience professional plotting software. Now, my problem is that I do not own a printer that can print on large paper, and my school doesn't have a printer that I am allowed to use. I do not mind how professional it looks, just that it is printed out on paper. I know that on a standard 8.5"x11, it will be too cramped. Now how does one go about printing it across multiple 8.5"x11" paper, that can be taped together later?

Thanks!

Depending on the version, and on my 2009, go to File - Page Setup, then in Printable Area, select a size unavailable. A normal 8-1/2x11 paper should be 8x10.43 for width and height in Portrait print, you can change it to Landscape in Printer Setup to essentially print horizontally, which is more typical for drawings who's L/R dimensions are greater the vertical.

You can change this to multiples of these measurements, say 16 and 20.86 to double the printable area and force the print to multiple pages.

Also toggle on here in Print Setup, the Show Page Boundary's and Show Page Breaks.

On the drawing you can adjust the layer scale to fit, or keep adding pages, but in any case 1/4" or 1/2" scale should be appropriate choices. The page breaks and boundaries will show you how the drawing will print across multiple pages.

You can use the Move Page Tool - in Basic Tool Set, usually a right click option (in Windows) under the Pan Tool, to move the page(s) to better fit the drawing.

Option 2, if your version allows, is to export as an Adobe pdf file and take to Staples or Kinkos and have them run a print, up to 36x48 I believe, costs about $5-$7. If you go this route then set the printable area appropriately to what size you are going to print to.

Last edited:
Go to page set up and on the left under "Pages" it should say horizontal and vertical each "1" change to 2 or 3 or whatever number you need in which direction you need to print as such. Show boundary and page breaks to verify your selection choices.

Go to page set up and on the left under "Pages" it should say horizontal and vertical each "1" change to 2 or 3 or whatever number you need in which direction you need to print as such. Show boundary and page breaks to verify your selection choices.

Arez, thanks for that, never played with it to see what it did.

SB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back