Automated Fixtures VL 4000 vs. Mac Viper?

danTt

Premium Member
Hi Gang,

I'm speccing some movers to be purchased for an upcoming project, and I'm wondering what peoples experiences are with the 4000 spot vs the mac viper profile/performance. I've got a few demos coming up, but I find that real world experience can say more than a structured demo. I've used the Vipers before, but I haven't seen a 4k yet.

Spec wise, the 4k looks like it should blow the viper out of the water. My concerns are that with so many bits and pieces shoved in the 4k, do optics suffer? How about reliability.. it seems like theres a lot more breakable parts in the 4k. Does the 4k quality follow in the footsteps of the 770/880? Or is it closer to the 3500 when it comes to reliability?

Appreciate any thoughts you might have, thanks!

I'm going to also suggest you look at the Robe BMFL Spot and the Clay Paky Scenius. Both fantastic units from the demos that I've seen, and I'd take either of them over the 4K or the Viper.

How's the noise level on the robe? These would be for (largeish venue) theatrical applications, so I need to be a little concerned about noise, and I'd be afraid with a 1700W source the fans need to be beefy...

I wouldn't drive it at 1700 watts, I'd drive it at 1500 - despite Robe's claims, I've heard that the lamps do not last as long at 1700 watts so you'd want to do 1500 for lamp life reasons. As far as the fans go, Robe is amazing at making quite quiet everything. However - if it's mainly for theater - get a demo of the Robe DL7S as well - not as bright but it's strictly a theatrical fixture and will be very quiet and produce excellent colors. The DL7S I have not seen in person - but I have seen the DL4S which is from the same line of units and it is beyond fantastic. I can only imagine that the DL7S is just as good quality wise while also adding 3 more colors of LEDs and plenty more features.

Thanks for the recommendation! I always forget robe exists... I've been looking at the quantum for another upcoming project, but the Dl7S looks much more interesting. I can tell: does the DL*S use rgb LEDs or white LEDs and cmy mixing? Or does it have both options?

I've used the Vipers on a few shows now and have been impressed - except for the shutters which I am continually disappointed with. One show we had to get a custom gobo made because the shutters couldn't do a steep enough triangle (this was something the MAC III Performances in that rig were able to do), another we just dealt with it. The repeatability of precise very precise shapes also seems to be something that they struggle with.

On some units, panning them in a 0 count creates a weird "whoooooooooooooh", which I've been told is normal, but still makes me nervous.

Aside from those two things, I see them spec'd on nearly every show now. I had VL4000 Spots (which I have yet to see, but am planning on demoing when I have some free time) spec'd, but we settled for the Vipers due to cost. Some LDs I've talked with consider the Vipers lamp color green, but I don't have an issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm programming a show with a handful of the Vipers for another couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back