Automated Fixtures what are some impressive lights to put into a show ?

Grab a few VLX's for sure. The CP Alpha 700's should work in your space very well as well. MACIII and Vipers. All great units.

First off
I know it was almost impossible to get parts/support for their older units in the states, and finding an english manual was equally challenging. Have they fixed this with the new round of lights? The Alpha Profile 700 is a beautiful looking light.

Clay Paky parts and service are great now. I have heard (although not experienced) about times where repairs would take a year and all parts orders where a month at least, but now a days we get even strange parts in a very reasonable time frame. All manuals come in 5 languages. English, Italian, Spanish, German, and French I believe. Their English is very understandable, both in the manuals and when you e-mail them if you have odd-ball service questions.

As far as which units to buy that totally depends on what kind of educational experience you're trying to give. If you are concentrating more on design and the newest equipment coming out I would highly recommend the 700's, they are very reliable and they talk back so they are easy to fix. I have friends that complain that now that the 700's can talk back to you they are almost too easy to fix and that they are bored because of it. If you're looking for the bleeding edge Clay Paky's newest is the 800 QWO (Quiet Wide-Optics) and it has some new very cutting edge features like the ability for the fixture to maintain consistent edge sharpness through the full zoom range and their "Dyna-Cue-Creator". I just looked at their website and they have a new moving head announced called the "Alpha Profile 800 ST" that you might ask your distributor about as well (all the website really says is it has shutters, 6000 K color temp, the same auto focus and "Dyna-Cue-Creator" software, and runs at 42 Db).
On the flip side, if you are looking to teach maintenance as well I might suggest the 575's. They are 2 huge generational leaps behind the 700's as far as ease of service goes. This may not sound like a good thing, but if you're teaching maintenance you're students should know how to fish a whole wiring harness connected to a bulkhead through the light without damaging it and how to handle a bulkhead with unprotected glass (similar to the frost wheel in mac 2k profiles). It might result in higher maintenance costs because of students causing damage, but that's what tech's are dealing with in the real world right now. A mix of the two is the 1200's. They came after the 575's, but long before the 700's. They are a much more user friendly light to work on, but still require the maintainer to think about what's happening and why it's not what should be happening.

Hope all that rambling and CP fanboyism is some kind of help to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back