What is with it and our venue and concerts?

And like I said, I did not mean HVAC, it is only a AC unit. I do not even think the room has heat?
HVAC doesn't mean anything about heating. It stands for High Velocity Air Conditioning.
Whether it's hot or cold air, it's all "Air Conditioning". Conditioning the Air to a particular comfort zone.
In hot climates, that means that there may not be a heating unit installed at all, just as in the extreme cold climates a cooling unit may not be installed.
But in both cases, the system still uses high velocity air through ducts to do the job.

The thermostat may be in a lockbox somewhere in the room. Look at anything (that you don't already know what they are) attached to the wall with small wire-mold raceways connected. (typical of post-construction installation)
Systems are hardly ever designed to use the return air temperature to trigger.

HVAC doesn't mean anything about heating. It stands for High Velocity Air Conditioning.
Whether it's hot or cold air, it's all "Air Conditioning". Conditioning the Air to a particular comfort zone.
In hot climates, that means that there may not be a heating unit installed at all, just as in the extreme cold climates a cooling unit may not be installed.
But in both cases, the system still uses high velocity air through ducts to do the job.

The thermostat may be in a lockbox somewhere in the room. Look at anything (that you don't already know what they are) attached to the wall with small wire-mold raceways connected. (typical of post-construction installation)
Systems are hardly ever designed to use the return air temperature to trigger.

I thought HVAC stood for Heating Ventillation AirConditioning. Pretty sure that's the standard meaning, at least.

Last edited:
Our new facility does have a very complex system for environment control. Along with temp control there are sensors for CO2. When you get enough people in the room breathing and exhaling CO2 the fans will kick on and change the air in the room and keep the air fresh.

In general, high air velocity = noise and if a theatre is using a high velocity air distribution system for an auditorium or stage then you should probably be looking for another Engineer and Contractor. It may be different in other parts of the world but I have also never seen any schools or other commercial buildings in the U.S. that did not having heating and ventilation installed and none for many years without air conditioning, that includes 7+ years as an acoustician in a large mechanical and electrical consulting engineering firm working primarily in the Southeast.

I've always seen "HVAC" be taken to mean Heating, Ventilation & Air-Conditioning (or some variation on that, ASHRAE uses the hyphenated "air-conditioning"), but that may not be true in other countries.

Most older schools in this area use radiator heat & don't have AC. The AC system was probably added in the past 10 years.

Like the other posters, I wouldn't be surprised to find the AC temperature sensor in a bad location, like next to your dimmer rack if the rack is offstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back