What's the inspiration behind your user name?

My user name for personal e-mail and things is mptecdir. It was dictated by AOL circa 1990 when I got my first account. At that time your AOL user name was limited to 8 characters, so my initials M, P plus my profession, Technical Director morphed to mptecdir, tech without the "H".

My story not nearly as cool or interesting is, my nickname from high school and slowly becoming a college nickname and my first name combined.

Duck came from some duck tape that was on my shirt at the time our TD was assigning nicknames (he has issues with names). It slowly transformed into a Duck from Duck tape fixing everything which i evidently had to do.

And the other part fairly obvious.
Soooo....neither your or your TD realized that its really duct tape? Dave can he get a name change? ;)

In middle school I had friends who said I looked like Grog from BC comics which stuck with me for many many a year...when I made my first email account back in the days of dial up grog was taken so I added my favorite number.

because it is cold outside -30c and I live in the north and 57 hmmmm year I was born. I have been using some form of this name on-line for a long time.

Last edited:
Nope we noticed... Just when we were attempting to correct it we found out I am very good at ducking under battens being flown in when the fly guy can't remember to call out fly coming in.

So maybe it isn't DuckJordan, it's DUCK! Jordan!

In high school I did both sound and lighting (I didn't specialize in one or another). Thus the username. Pretty simple. I'm still fairly proficient as far as sound engineering goes, but I'm definitely better at lighting.

My initials are D.V.S. Which, when said out loud... is self evident. I am also a Third (DVS III) Oddly enough, the association with Devious and D.V.S had never occurred to my grandfather or dad. I had DVS on my LandsEnd backpack my freshman year of high school and some random guy walks up behind me and goes, "Huh... Devious! I like it!"

There are 12 Dave's in my church. To most of the guys in the church, I am D3. It works.

Around here I'm known as MNicolai which is just an abbreviation of my name, but elsewhere on the internet (Twitter, Tumblr, Flickr, Instagram), I'm known as Smoketest (aka smoke_test aka smoke-test as was needed in one or two cases). Smoke tests are based on the very provable electrical theory that not electrons travel through electrical conductors to generate electricity, but instead purple smoke does. How is this provable? I guarantee that when working with electrical components if something happens and purple or blue smoke starts pouring out of them that your components will cease to function ever again.

Thus, a smoke test is when you first plug a device in after working on it (either building or repairing it) -- if it doesn't catch fire or start smoking, that's always a good first step. Doesn't mean your circuit does what it's supposed to, but at least it didn't blow up in your face.

There are also other varieties of smoke tests. Software developers call smoke tests when they first test a new build and go in and see that the basic functionality is still there without serious crashes and contractors laying pipe for natural gas and water lines will send smoke through the lines to test for leaks.

When I got my first email account my mom said use a combination of your initials and a number you'll remember. At the time my favorite radio station was on 92.5 my initials are NAD so yeah

...Smoke tests are based on the very provable electrical theory that not electrons travel through electrical conductors to generate electricity, but instead purple smoke does. How is this provable? I guarantee that when working with electrical components if something happens and purple or blue smoke starts pouring out of them that your components will cease to function ever again. ...
But with this product for British motor vehicles, you can put the magic smoke back in.
proxy.php

Lucas Replacement Wiring Harness Smoke Kit, P/N 530433 -

Should be "Duck_Duct-Jordan"

Or "Duck_Duct_Goose" :p

I was the A.V. kid in school.

Now i'm just awesome.
(however that's not near as catchy)

I felt like 'Lester' had a somewhat negative connotation because, well, what rhymes with Lester?

Uncle Fester. Yes, I'm certain that's what you were getting at... ;)

With thirty plus years in theatre and running the gamut of duties, I still consider myself primarily an actor. Let's see, the last time I was on the stage....... April/May of last year, lol!

I generally try to lead a private life, so I joke that when people who have seen me perform see me on the street, they go, "Hey you're that actor guy!"

Last edited:
I would think that my user name is pretty obvious.

Drama for what goes on in the theatre, and tech, short for technician. I suppose that it could also be theatre technician, but that doesn't sound nearly as clever.

I also have it on my auto tags. Drama TK, Drama TC, and Drama TQ on my three cars.

Tom Johnson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back