Wheels on tables for a Physical performance piece

Right, new task, I need to make a standard classroom table movable via wheels of some sort. By standard I mean 4'x2 wooden top' with metal frame and legs. The piece requires the tables easily moved but they will be stood/clambered on and used a fair bit. I have thought about making similar tables of the same spec completly out of wood, but our budget doesn't allow for it (theres a fair few tables in use). Anyone have any ideas I can use for this?

Build a frame out of wood that the tables can sit on, and slap some wagon brakes on it. Make sure you test it out first to ensure the legs will hold weight, especially since it will be at a slight angle due to the wagon brakes. Make sure there will be no dancing on the tables. Anything more than just standing on them and you're asking for trouble. I'm picturing a bigger version of something like this only using 2x4 s with slots for the legs to fit in and with wagon brakes.

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/im...=416&qlt=65,0&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

This is just how I would do it. I can in no way ensure that this will work safely, and I may have overlooked something. Use your best judgement and if you at any point think it is unsafe, insist on a budget to start from scratch.

If the tables have those little adjustable leveling pads on the bottom of the legs, you may be able to unscrew them and replace them with threaded casters. Like TheatreEd, I'd be concerned if there was dancing on the tables or anything, but we have quite a few desks that have been modified like this and they are completely fine to sit/stand on.

Colson makes casters that lock both the wheel and the swivel mount, which makes them a lot more stable when locked. You might be able to find something appropriate for your needs with this feature.

Another thought would be to put only two fixed casters on one end, with the shift crew lifting the other end and wheel-barrowing the desk across stage.

Colson makes casters that lock both the wheel and the swivel mount, which makes them a lot more stable when locked. You might be able to find something appropriate for your needs with this feature.

Another thought would be to put only two fixed casters on one end, with the shift crew lifting the other end and wheel-barrowing the desk across stage.

I like the idea of fixed casters and wheel-barrowing

I like the wheelbarrow idea too, I'm assuming to fix the casters to the table normal steel U-bolts and nuts will work? Or will a backboard behind the legs work better using a spacer arrangement between the casters and fixing plate be a better idea?

Can you post a picture of the tables? Will help us give specific advice.

You are using them outside of what they're engineered for, so it's your responsibility to ensure that they're up to the task. My guess is you'd at least need to build a frame as suggested that the table sits on. This holds all the legs in position. Simply putting wheels on the table legs means that friction with the ground is no longer helping them stay put, and they may be prone to splay, etc.

The trouble is that the climbing / clambering creates lateral forces on the table. You may need to add diagonal bracing from the legs to the table to make them stiff enough. You should figure out the maximum forces that will be applied, then test that the table can take a multiple MORE than that (safety factor). I'd probably use a factor of 3x in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back