Why is Rosco's online gobo store so lame

JChenault

So I go on to the Rosco site looking for some breakup gobos.
They have a nice way you can click on the categories you are looking for - so I click on breakups.

Does this look like a breakup to you?
proxy.php

How about this one?
proxy.php

Additionally there were a number of duplicate gobos ( mostly Gam gobos that appeared twice.

Why is it so hard to have a good website in this day and age.

So I went to Apollo, found something that will work, and am ordering them today.

Rosco - if you are reading this - you lost a sale today because I could not find what I needed on your website.

They have a nice way you can click on the categories you are looking for - so I click on breakups.

proxy.php

How about this one?
proxy.php

Additionally there were a number of duplicate gobos ( mostly Gam gobos that appeared twice.

So I went to Apollo, found something that will work, and am ordering them today.

Rosco - if you are reading this - you lost a sale today because I could not find what I needed on your website.
@JChenault @GreyWyvern Obviously you're missing the connection. Papa bear left Mama bear and the cubs; thus they've broke-up.
You merely need to learn to think like Rosco; Always remember their mantra: "White light is a sin. White light is a SIN!"
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

You would be surprised at the amount of time it takes to ensure that each gobo is in the right category(ies).

I think I have a pretty good idea of how much work it should take to get to 90% correct. ( I used to hang out with the Amazon catalog guys). Either the underlying technology of their platform is broken ( my suspicion as if they are using a sql database, they either have duplicate data in the DB or brain dead queries ). OR no one has taken the time to categorize the gobos.

Sure it’s work to look at each gobo and decide what categorie(s) it belongs to, but you should only have to do it once.

You should be happy they are so clueless. It got you an order!

I’ll do it freelance. 2.50$ a gobo, to catalog your entire database. Eh eh??

Sure it’s work to look at each gobo and decide what categorie(s) it belongs to, but you should only have to do it once.

You should be happy they are so clueless. It got you an order!
You are right, building the database should only need to be done once. Although, sometimes it essentially has to be redone, like when switching to a new webhost. Data doesn't always transfer nice and neatly.

I am glad that their site got us a sale. However, the question is.... well, I think you know the question. Just think about it in the future and save yourself some trouble! ;)

proxy.php

How about this one?
proxy.php

Global warming means the polar ice cap is breaking up.

Gotta say I'm happy I don't need to go gobo shopping anytime soon.

At least it's better than eBay thinking I'm looking for parts for a 2005 Cadillac XLR when I search "5 pin xlr panel".

Creating an accurate search engine and results relevant to what a person is looking for is almost a science.... It's definitely more difficult than I ever knew before i learned about it. Then you have to take into account google and their analytical rankings and rules.... that's why you hire experts... It can really make or break a sale (as shown above)

Yes search engines are hard. But I am not talking about a search engine, merely a filter based on categories. If you present a web page with boxes to check for ( say ) breakups and you check that box, you should get mostly breakups. You should not get just about everything.

I suspect Rosco sees their customer as their dealer network. I complained to my local dealer yesterday. I urge you to do the same, and ask the question at trade shows.

I suspect more people are using the iOS/Android apps rather than the website.

Honestly, their website used to be lot worse and what they have now is a big step up from where they were 10 years ago, some miscategorizations and duplications notwithstanding.

View attachment 16506
I just went to www.Rosco.com
Selected Gobos
Typed Breakups in the search Spyglass and returned 25+ pages of 10 breakup gobos each
Not one was of the gobos you posted.
Jus sayin'
What Rosco site are you on?

That’s the page I was on but I picked the “Show Gobo Categories “ and I unclicked all boxes but “Breakups”.

So it could be that this is at least partly a UI issue in that they give you check boxes which do not appear to do anything useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back