Wireless Com

tyler.martin

What is the most cost effective brand/model/type of wireless com? A group I am an advisor for, has their heart set on a wireless com. They are currently using Motorola GMRS radio's and the big problem is the simplex nature of the system. They tend to have 5 or more people trying to communicate and that tends to clog things up and words are missed, so are cue calls. I have tried convincing them they should by PI stuff as I have never had a problem with it, but they wont have it... So any brands that seem to be cost effective?

Thanks

Cheap, reliable, wireless comms don't exist.

Search for "wireless comms" on CB and you'll find the past discussions, but it comes down to when you are staking the show on the comms system, firstly use wired WHEREVER possible and if you NEED wireless comms, it will be costing upwards of 3-4K.

There is a huge difference in price between garbage GMRS radios and any kind of intercom, even PI gear.
A duplex radio system would fall right in the middle.

I have yet to see a situation where somebody NEEDS a wireless headset.
We use them backstage because of convenience, but think about it, I could tag a 50 foot six pin cable on there and they could run back and forth.

All lx and sound board ops can use wired, and anything wired is significantly cheaper than wireless!!!

Like Chris said, there isn't really any such thing as cheap and reliable. You get what you pay for...

I've used the Telex BTR-700 UHF system, and while the system is freaking awesome, a 4 pack setup will cost you upwards to 10k. We borrowed a set for my church's Christmas program last year. They come in handy for us techs who have to run around fixing stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back