Work Surface

I actually go the exact opposite. Unless I am doing torch welding/cutting... its wood tables all the way. I usually like my welding table to be at least 6' wide by 24' long. Standard 2x4 construction with 3/4" OSB top. Over the OSB goes 1/4" maso. This allow you to place jig blocks on the table to hold things in place and to easily make duplicate pieces. Usually I can get 3 or 4 shows out of a sheet of maso.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes, its the Yalie way to weld, but it works for me.

The reason I use all metal for a welding area is you can attach the ground low, out of the way and weld anywhere on the table.

I like to do wood work, so I built my own. I got lucky when a bowling ally closed a few years back and got my hands on big chunks of their old lanes. They are very strong and when the wear & tear gets to be too much, I sand them down and refinish.

When we bought our old farmhouse (with an assortment of 'extra' buildings), a large work bench made from a bowling alley lane was found in what we call the workshop. This rather beefy bench is strong and collects quite a few odds & ends that really should go elsewhere. But is sure made a nice bench!

Haha, unfortunately for me it doesn't matter what type of material the bench is made out of or if it's a chair or another flat surface, I can't seem to keep the spaces clear either.

I use similar boxes to the uline ones and cabinets, etc, but there is never enough space. Maybe I can store some of my stuff in one of your old "extra buildings", LOL! :lol:

Just be sure you make friends with our two dogs first!

(two BIG dogs!)

:shock:

I just make my own, wood all the way, the ones I use now are just a ply top, masonite would be my next choice, but sometimes ply is best when you need to temp screw into it, masonite gets torn up.

Our shop has all wood benches. I topped them with masonite a year or two ago because we snagged a bunch of used pieces from the scene shop when they were replacing a deck. I too prefer being able to attach jig blocks when I'm welding, but I also like using a metal surface when welding smaller pieces where there's no place to attach the ground (or the ground will get in the way). For those instances, I keep a couple of pieces of plate steel around that I can put on top of the bench. Instant welding table!

Built my own. Legs are 4 x 4, with a 3/4" plywood surface and then masonite on top. It's fine for most everyday stuff. It's a couple inches too short. If I ever get bored, new legs might be added.

Len, is it worth the effort in the short-run to cut 2x6 'foot pads' to place beneath the feet, or would this be a bad idea?

Len, is it worth the effort in the short-run to cut 2x6 'foot pads' to place beneath the feet, or would this be a bad idea?

Thot of that. Might make it wobbly. It's for another day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back