American DJ spot 250

Tallenpro

I have an American DJ, DJ Spot 250 that decided to lock up both the pan and tilt motors. The head is free moving without power, but when power is applied, it does not go into the normal test mode, but locks up any movement. Any suggestions on getting it back in working order? Thanks

I have an American DJ, DJ Spot 250 that decided to lock up both the pan and tilt motors. The head is free moving without power, but when power is applied, it does not go into the normal test mode, but locks up any movement. Any suggestions on getting it back in working order? Thanks

If there are no errors : Pull your fixture open and get your hands on the pan and tilt motors. Can you manipulate them by hand (not by moving the fixture) when your fixture is off? Do they move smoothly? Is there any resistance or grinding? They should move really smoothly.

Sounds like the driver chip went DC. This can be due to the chip failing or the logic failing. In any case, with DC to the windings, the stepper motor becomes a brake.

John, thanks for the advise. I have ordered a new driver chip from ADJ. It cost more to ship it than the cost of the IC. Hopefully it will be an inexpensive fix.

John, thanks for the advise. I have ordered a new driver chip from ADJ. It cost more to ship it than the cost of the IC. Hopefully it will be an inexpensive fix.
Sounds like it was inexpensive, so hopefully that's it. Usually, I like to confirm before ordering by metering across the motor outputs as it could be a logic problem. Since the weak link is the chip, and it's inexpensive, sounds like a good shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back