Wireless an alternative to Shure UA440

NickVon

So I'm putting together a little rack of 4 Sennheiser EW100 G2's. I don't have any RF distro for them, and i'm just looking for a nice inexpensive way to get a rear bracket with some "bnc" antenna connnectors on them (much like the ones that come with shure wireless systems. Ideally though a 1u rack panel with 8"connectors for antennas that poke through for the cables to connect. I have all the little cables, and even the BNC/BNC with washer couplers that I need. I'm kind of just looking for a prefab 1u panel with the approriate holes cut out but i'm not sure what my search terms should be. B&H or Sweetwater are preferred retailers but if it's to custome I can go else where.

The ShureUA440 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247823-REG/Shure_UA440_UA440_Front_Mount_Antenna.html/?m=Y&gclid=COOj0qzpuckCFYb3HwodOecEjQ is kinda of what i'm looking for by quite pricey, and I'd need 2, and wouldn't need half of the product.

Thanks for your Thoughts.

Nick

You're looking for something like a Keystone panel. However to make it look super slick, just grab a single rack space blank (http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/260...ign=googleps&gclid=CLzip4HyuckCFY-Cfgod100HqQ) - measure equidistant marks, and drill the thing out.

You'll notice that on the UA440, the metal ground on the BNC is touching the panel. You need that, as 1/4 wave and 1/2 wave antennas need the ground plane to function. So if you have a regular BNC washer coupler, you need to make sure that it isn't one meant for a strict cable pass through, but will allow the antenna to maintain a ground plane.

+1 on the blank panel if you're going to mount it in the back.

I did a 2:1 split on my AKG WMS450, but I preferred to have the antennas in the front so I was able to use the stock rack mount kit.

I'm actually using some left over rack shelves and industrial Velcro (the stuff that comes with the EZ-passes, by 3m) to attach them to the trays. I was hoping down the road to maybe add a drawer, hence why I want to back mount the antennas. (I'd need the Sennheiser passive RF combiners if I wanted to hook all 4 units into only 4 antennas though, correct?)

Off hand does anyone know the Diameter drill bit I need for the correct sized holes.

@themuzicman the BNC couplers I have are actually from Shure SLX Units that never got used for their install into a rack. I'm not Shure what you mean by a "ground plane" arn't BNC connectors and wires a "core" and a "Sheild". Are you saying it important to make sure any BNC coupler through the plate is actually in contact with the plat it self. I know many rack units will ground their power to the chassis, which then in turn gets grounded through the rack rails. Or did I just read more into your statement then i should :)?

the BNC couplers I have are actually from Shure SLX Units that never got used for their install into a rack. I'm not Shure what you mean by a "ground plane" arn't BNC connectors and wires a "core" and a "Sheild". Are you saying it important to make sure any BNC coupler through the plate is actually in contact with the plat it self. I know many rack units will ground their power to the chassis, which then in turn gets grounded through the rack rails. Or did I just read more into your statement then i should :)?

If you take a look at the UA440, you will see that the physical ground of the BNC (the outer part of the connector) is touching the plate. whips need this ground in order to function at full potential -- this is why you can't just use a barrel on a 25' extension and throw whips on the end of them. Antennas like the Sennheiser A2003-UHF don't need this ground plane to function, which is why you can mount a BNC pass-through with a nylon washer and those antennas work just fine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whip_antenna#Gain_and_radiation_resistance -- this should provide some more insight, and explain it better than I could on a tiny phone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back