Blizzard tough par

Amiers

Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.
So I put a bid in for 40 degree led wash lights and I ended up with 26 degree blizzard tough par quadras, which they aren't bad but I was wonder if anyone has seen a Lens kit for these fixtures. I have searched the website but didn't see any accesories.

ETC Desire holographic lenses are about the right diameter but may need some trimming to fit. Since the Blizzards don't appear to have an accessory frame some bodging would be necessary to install the lens, possibly voiding the IP-65 rating.

With our sand arena the ip65 is a must but I will look into it.

If you add a 30 degree Elation Light Shaping Filter to the 26 degree lens, you will get about a 40 degree spread.

Wouldn't it be easier to just have the supplier get you the correct fixture?

It is hard to explain how the buying process works here as the boss owns a variety of facilities and her supplier doesn't really know what he is doing. So I just deal with it and make the best.

So as to not start a new thread. The storm knocked one of these out. I would like to say they don't call them tough pars just because they are IP65 rated. Getting to the hex heads aren't hard but getting something in there that doesn't hit the casing not so good. I am hoping that the fuse did its job and popped before the PSU. Pictures to come. As I searched online for some exploded views or tear down guides and got nothing.

Well here is a breakdown of the blizzard tough par quadra. Needless to say it's quite tough(har har) I was also hoping that it would be a easy fuse swap but if you look at the last picture for some reason they soldered it to the PSU board shrink wrapped it and hot glued it. Total time breaking it apart and into the guys an hour. If I would of had a long metric 2.5 hex would of been 15 20 mins. Be careful where the safety mount is I did end up breaking one of the hex screws because I thought I had the lock nut free and instead I was cutting the screw.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

On switch-mode supplies, the fuse usually doesn't blow unless the power supply popped. It's more for fire protection. Random surge may have taken it out, but don't get your hopes up as the replacement fuse may pop as soon as it is plugged in.

When you clip the heat-shrink off you may have your answer: tiny fracture in element wire = good sign. Big flash mark on glass tube = bad sign.

Wait, aren't these new units? Did you void the warranty by opening it up? I would have sent it back to its momma for repair. Storm or not, they should repair it.

He's got a point! I would button it back up and send it back. They may void it out, but having lived on the other end of this (warranty service) we got many units back that "looked" like they "may" have been opened. In most cases, unless you did some damage, they will probably still process it. A direct hit that left a big burn mark inside would also get flagged as warranties usually don't cover lightning strikes! From what I can see in your pictures, there is no sign of that.

Well here is a breakdown of the blizzard tough par quadra. Needless to say it's quite tough(har har) I was also hoping that it would be a easy fuse swap but if you look at the last picture for some reason they soldered it to the PSU board shrink wrapped it and hot glued it. Total time breaking it apart and into the guys an hour. If I would of had a long metric 2.5 hex would of been 15 20 mins. Be careful where the safety mount is I did end up breaking one of the hex screws because I thought I had the lock nut free and instead I was cutting the screw.

I can answer some of this. The fuse is soldered in because it is cheaper to do than putting it in a socket and because it is not intended to need to be replaced for the reason JD states. Heatshrink and glue is likely used to increase what's called creepage and clearance which are tightly defined by UL [which ETL follows] for electrical shock and short circuit protection inside the fixture [or any device, for that matter].

JD and FMEng are correct when it comes to warranty claims. You might be able to put it back together and get it serviced but that's going to be tricky. Do look carefully at how it's assembled as an IP65 fixture will leak and become damaged again due to water intrusion if not done the right way. Get gaskets in the right place and even tighten fasteners around the castings by taking a few turns at each screw. Do not tighten one housing screw and move to the next as this will never seal.

For our fixtures, they take care to get sealed and we have tests for leaks that we perform after we follow specific manufacturing procedures. IP65 is hard to do.

David

One more suggestion.....you're 45 minutes from Blizzard. It might be worth a drive up there to see what they can do for you.

David

They are out of warranty. The service dept also said they don't cover surges or strikes. I am getting a new PSU FOR 60$ which isn't bad at all and because they are so close to me it will be here tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks David I will definitely follow the few turns at a time when putting back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back