Colorsource Spot Jr. at ~20ft throw?

aubstract

Hello, this is my first post here. I asked this same question on Reddit but only got one reply, and I'm looking for more perspectives.

I work for a high school/whole school. This is my first year in an official tech position there, but last year I was sort of paid to do theater tech stuff there. I'm a little inexperienced, but I have taken some college classes on theater stuff (including one on lighting), and have led the tech crew for 5 shows now.

We are receiving a donation for lighting of around $12k (USD, I'm in the US) and I want to use it to revamp our smallest indoor space. It's a proscenium stage where the proscenium is 24' wide and 10' tall. The stage is very deep since it is actually the backside of the larger indoor stage, but most of the "action" happens in the front 10' of the stage (especially the first 8'). There is a bar we can hang from that is 10' above the stage and 10' out into the audience. There is another bar at a height of 13.5' above the stage behind the proscenium. This means that the longest throw distance would be from the FOH bar, at around 20' (5' up accounting for the height of the actors, 20' long).

I would like to use the money to start our transition to LED color changers since our most modern instruments are conventional Source 4s. I was looking at the Colorsource Spot Jr. as an option, but my worry is that it won't be enough light. I have heard reports that it is a little dim, however those reports were a situation where the Spot Jrs were used at a throw distance of 50'.

The current plan is to have two Spot Jrs per lighting area as front lights (front left, front right), with 3 lighting areas across the front of the stage. Then an additional Colorsource PAR as top light for each lighting area.

The last thing I want to address is why I'm considering ETC products. I understand they come at a bit of a premium, and I'm working with a limited budget, but I really want these things to last. ETC seems to have a really good warranty, and I've read about why they rate their lifetime so high. I just trust them. We have an ETC board and dimmers already, so they are a brand I know and trust. With all that being said, I would consider other brands.

What do you all think about this idea? Is the Colorsource Spot Jr effective at a max throw distance of 20'? Are there better/cheaper alternatives I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!!

We use colorsource Jr for our FOH bar which is about that distance to the stage but higher up (about 4.5m) and they are plenty bright enough for us. We use 8 of them in pairs of 4.

Depending on how many Source 4s you currently have and if you can spare some for the conversion - the Source 4WRD Color II is likely a better option.
You'll get more brightness out of it and you're able to continue using full sized fixtures that match your existing rig. Then as you continue to get more money, you can continue transitioning and everything will still match.

I'm probably also one of those weird designers concerned with aesthetics, but I'd much prefer lights that have a certain look, and the colorsource spot Jr doesn't do it for me.

Reactions: Les
Depending on how many Source 4s you currently have and if you can spare some for the conversion - the Source 4WRD Color II is likely a better option.
You'll get more brightness out of it and you're able to continue using full sized fixtures that match your existing rig. Then as you continue to get more money, you can continue transitioning and everything will still match.

putting on my lighting designer hat, I disagree with this. While I have not used the 4WRD, I have used RGBA LED units. I find that the CS colors substantially better. IE lime is a better choice than amber.

Take a look at the colorsource fresnel with zoom for that distance. you might be pleasantly surprised.
we did a demo in our space and it was the unlikely winner for the future of our first electric... which would have similar stage geometry to yours.

One thing to be aware of with the colorsource jr - the shutters are awful. I mean really awful. Make a narrow slit shutter cut and you start getting bleed around the back edge of the shutter, and the amount of rotation you can get with the shutter is really limited - it's like you want to take a hacksaw to the lantern body to make more space. Came as a real disappointment after the strand lanterns they replaced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back