Sound f/x custom hardware for ergonomic programming of QLab?

Ken Porter

Greetings all.
I’ve wandered through some conversations about controlling QLab with hotkeys, OSC, and so forth, but here’s what I’m not finding. My (new) dream is to set up a customizable piece of hardware, similar to a big X-Keys device, which would be an ergonomic leap toward making the programming of QLab much more efficient. i.e. replacing a lot of pointing and clicking with task-specific button presses & perhaps a jog/shuttle wheel to rapidly affect timings, levels, what-have-you. I’ve asked the X-Keys folks, but while they’re great at making text macros feed a USB port, they don’t make their devices talk MIDI, nor do they send their results out a network port to reach some UDP or OSC listener.

Then I get to thinking I need some software solution for either the Mac or my networked Windows laptop, which could intercept communication from a specific USB device (in the X-Keys example) and just send it along down a network port… but alas, I can’t find a software solution that would keep some exclusivity, such that it would be the ONLY software to pay attention to what the X-Keys device might generate...
Then I come back to the concept that … Wait a sec - I can’t be the first person to want a big set of custom buttons to help efficiently program a piece of industry standard software… So, I search again, and find stupidly-expensive controls that are used for video editing, or live-event video switching/fun. And they don’t mention how they communicate, or how, if at all, the commands they send might be customizable… Or I find things that talk to a DAW, which I guess is closer, but it’s still not customizable, and who has the time to reverse engineer something that’s not ideal to begin with?

From what I see, the library of OSC commands that QLab can respond to is pretty extensive. And having a few available on some other complicated device to tell QLab what to do now and then seems completely feasible. But I want that x 100. I’ve always found pressing shortcut keys on a keyboard to be far more efficient than hunting and pecking with a mouse. Now I want more immediate access to all the controls that there aren’t enough hotkeys for. I want a jog & shuttle device to tweak pre-wait times. (Maybe at some point I’ll want a display of the QLab UDP text responses, but not now.)

So I guess my question is this:
Has anyone previously had success in the realm of some magic box, sitting next to your computer keyboard, that could be used to make, alter, tweak, rearrange cues significantly faster than typical keyboard & mouse methods?
Given how much time we spend programming, I’m a bit surprised that this doesn’t exist yet, or that it’s hidden so well from the interwebs.

Thoughts?
- K

Elgato Streamdeck with Bitfocus Companion Software?

If you need more flexibility than the QLab module in Companion I'd honestly just shoot Raw OSC from the Streamdeck into a hidden Cue List in QLab that has the OSC you need all pre-built that then targets the visible QLab window.

The amount of programming that would go into that would be rather daunting. I'd be interested to see how many Qlab users even go beyond simple playback and dive into stuff that deep. Of course people do, but I bet its less than 10%. The keyboard shortcuts Qlab offers are rather limited. What I personally think would be better is to either open up way more options for shortcuts that you can map to the X-Key and/or support some kind of basic DAW controller.

I've been looking for a way to add a "scrub" feature to my button box for awhile... and its just not there.

Its a pretty common occurrence to be rehearsing a piece, have to pause, go back 20 seconds or so, then start again. So, current active cue.

it certainly is! but unless you're working in dance, it's equally common to have several cues running at once, so i was just wondering if you had a specific workflow in mind about how you'd want to tell your control hardware which of those cues you'd want to scrub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back