Mixers/Consoles Daisy Chaining

FunnyFellow

Sound Technician
As most of you would already know, my school has a Mipro MA-707 system and i would like to connect a Yamaha mixer (no, not that crummy one that came with my Stagepas 300) to the 707. My question is: can I connect a mixer with it's own main stereo outputs to the 707 with the 707's Mic inputs or should I connect the recording out of the mixer to the line in of the 707?

I thought it might be that after rereading my post.

Just watch the noise floor, since you are now doubling up on the number of links in the signal chain. I did this a couple years ago with a Mackie CFX-20 as the feeder board, and the CFX-20 main bus adds a lot of noise floor. So I used group outs instead of the main outs to get the noise floor down.

-- John

I will now be using the Control Room outs instead of the main outs for the main run.
FYI the mixer was a Yamaha MG8/2FX

Just watch the noise floor, since you are now doubling up on the number of links in the signal chain. I did this a couple years ago with a Mackie CFX-20 as the feeder board, and the CFX-20 main bus adds a lot of noise floor. So I used group outs instead of the main outs to get the noise floor down.

-- John

...?
Bad mains output?
Or is the mains out a different signal level than group out?

...?
Bad mains output?
Or is the mains out a different signal level than group out?

No, it's just a low-end board with a built-in EQ on the main bus. When I say "adds a lot" I don't mean as disruptive to the performance ... but it's noticable through the headphones and in a recording. Think the CFX's were known for this. I swapped out the board two years ago for a Soundcraft LX7 ... big difference.

I just wanted to pass to suggestion along that minimizing links in the signal chain can help.

No, it's just a low-end board with a built-in EQ on the main bus. When I say "adds a lot" I don't mean as disruptive to the performance ... but it's noticable through the headphones and in a recording. Think the CFX's were known for this. I swapped out the board two years ago for a Soundcraft LX7 ... big difference.

I just wanted to pass to suggestion along that minimizing links in the signal chain can help.
Ahh... forgot that board had a low-end EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back