Designing a 12V setup for outdoor use

KHesse

Hello everyone,

This year, I and a group of friends are going to Roskilde Festival, the largest general music festival in Europe, with about 100,000 attendees! 150 acts come to play for 4 days in a row, but only in the evenings. Throughout the day, people hang out in their campgrounds, listen to music on their own setups, drink beer and have a good time.

I am in charge of the music&lighting part of my camp. We have a budget of about $2000 total, with about $500 of that set aside for lighting equipment. I have some experience in this, but now a whole lot, so I am hoping you can help me make the right decisions.

The purpose of our lightshow is just to have some cool visuals when the evening comes in, creating a cool vibe in our camp. Currently, the setup looks like this:

Lamps: 2x Stairville LED Par56 or Stairville LED Par36 .

Controller: Starvillle 6-channel DMX controller or, if necessary, Starville 12-channel DMX controller. Alternatively, considering using the built-in music mode to make the lights flash along with the music.

Stand: Milennium LST-250

Batteries: 2x 12v 7.2Ah SLA Battery wired in parallel to up the ampage.

My idea is to wire the two batteries in parallel to give me a 12v 14.4Ah supply. By using a 12v->230v converter I have lying around, I'll convert the power into 230v to power the lamps. We also have a solar panel (unsure of the exact wattage), that will be used throughout the day to keep lights and music batteries topped off.

The Par56 has a consumption of 13W. Assuming the battery supplies 12V on average, that's a current draw of 13W*2/12V=2.2amps. So accounting for discharge, loss through converter etc, etc, I guess 5 hours of non-stop use.

If I use the Par36, with a consumption of 7W, the math goes out to 7W*2/12V=1.2Amps. About 10 hours of use.

So, looking at this, what thoughts do you have? Am I on the right track, or completely lost. Are there any things I have completely misunderstood? Do you have ideas for improvements?

Thank you for your time!

I think you may be underestimating invereter losses. The specifics of your inverter will have a big impact on efficiency. Generally inverters are most efficient close to their rated capacity and least efficient when powering very small loads. If I understand your post correctly, the batteries and inverter mentioned would only be powering the lighting.

That is correct, the audio is all run off a 12v amplifier. If you believe that's not the way to go, what else should I then consider? Are there any good 12v lights that you know of?

That is correct, the audio is all run off a 12v amplifier. If you believe that's not the way to go, what else should I then consider? Are there any good 12v lights that you know of?
And the audio amplifier is attached to a different set of batteries than the inverter? If it is just one 12v system, you'll want to account for all the loads, not just lighting. I'd be inclined to use a single 12v system for the simplicy of it unless you have ample solar power availible to charge both systems. You don't want your power to fail when your group is up for performing - I'd test the system in advance. (Or are you just attending, in which case you may not consider your system critical?) If you're trying to decide if you have the power for the higher wattage equipment, try powering something else with you inverter to get and idea of what the inverter and batteries will really do (of course the power factor of the actual equipment may cause some difference from your test load results).

Hello everyone,
My idea is to wire the two batteries in parallel to give me a 12v 14.4Ah supply. By using a 12v->230v converter I have lying around, I'll convert the power into 230v to power the lamps. We also have a solar panel (unsure of the exact wattage), that will be used throughout the day to keep lights and music batteries topped off.
!

You want to power up some 230vac devices using 12vdc through an inverter to increase the voltage.
The voltage will be increased 20 times so you will need 20x the current from your battery.
Add up your total watts: Console and lights together maybe possibly add up to a total of 115 watts.
230vac divided by 115 watts equals .5 amp at 230vac.
Then get this power through an inverter and a 12 volt battery and the current draw will be more than 10 amps.
You have about 15 amphours of batteries so you could possibly get about an hour of use from those batteries

This is just for parting at the campsite right? If so I would go a totally different direction. I would get some rgb led rope light or strip lights, you can pick it up in 5M chunks for $15-$20 with a remote control that has all kinds of colors and chases built into it. Then you can wrap them around trees, poles, cars, tents, whatever is available and let them do their thing. And they run off of 12 volts so no inverters or power loss from it to worry about.

For the amount spent in batteries, chargers, and inverters I would sooner buy a $800 generator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back