DVI

DaveySimps

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Stands for Digital Video Interface. A multi-pin video interface that transfers a uncompressed digital video signal between a source device and a display device.

This interface comes in a number of varieties:

DVI-I : DVI-Integrated. This interface is capable of passing both analog and digital signals on separate sets of pins. Readily and cheaply adaptable to DSUB HD-15 ("VGA") with passive adapter.

DVI-A : DVI connector designed to interface with analog equipment ONLY. This connector is readily identifiable by the presence of pins around the horizontal blade on one side of the connector body. DVI-A is rarely, if ever seen as a female panel-mount and most commonly found as a male plug on the opposing end of a DSUB HD-15 (VGA) to DVI-A adapter.

DVI-D : Connector designed for use with signals that are strictly DIGITAL. Readily identifiable by the horizontal blade being shorter in width than its DVI-I counterpart. Also (mostly) forward-compatible with HDMI via a passive adapter, though DVI-D will not carry audio and not all DVI-I interfaces are HDCP compliant.

Single-Link vs. Dual-Link : DVI-I and DVI-D connectors may be observed in both "single-link" and "dual-link" varieties. The Dual-link connectors will have 6 additional pins present in the middle of the connector. These pins are absent on their single-link counterparts. The additional pins allow connection to displays requiring higher resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back