ETC Ion Networking Issues

erico3456

Hey all,

I've been dealing with some networking issues on a show that I'm trying to get up and running.

Details:
-Running ETC Ion as primary w/ latest software (2.0.0.1)
-Ion outputs DMX to a four port Net3 gateway input
-Sensor 96 rack takes DMX from a four port Net3 gateway output
-Sensor 12 pack takes Streaming ACN
-Everything is connected through Cat 5 ports throughout the building and routed through a network switch in the booth
-Everything is currently set in the same IP adress scheme with the same subnet mask.
-All of the dimmers are getting signal and working fine

We are having problems connecting a second 2 port Net3 Gateway and RVI to the network.
-Both are connected in through the switch
-Gateway is not showing up in the GCE but is requesting and getting an IP address that makes sense with the scheme
-We are able to ping the Gateway from the console
-We have tried connecting the gateway straight into the switch with no difference.
-RVI is running same software version as console

Any suggestions of what may be wrong or what we can try?

Last edited:
Hey all,

I've been dealing with some networking issues on a show that I'm trying to get up and running.

Details:
-Everything is connected through Cat 5 ports throughout the building and routed through a network switch in the booth
-Everything is currently set in the same IP adress scheme with the same subnet mask.

We are having problems connecting a second 2 port Net3 Gateway and RVI to the network.
-Gateway is not showing up in the GCE but is requesting and getting an IP address that makes sense with the scheme
-We have tried connecting the gateway straight into the switch with no difference.

This really sounds like a IP issue. You say that they all are set with "the same IP address scheme". What does that mean? Using static IPs for the the lighting network has worked best for me. But you can set the ION to be a DHCP server if you like. Please clarify or call ETC.

Lorin Sly

Hey all,

Details:

Is GCE running on the console or a standalone computer?
Is this 2-port gateway a new addition to the system or has it worked before?
Can you see the other gateways in GCE?

My first instinct is to check versions on your 2 and 4 port gateways. I am willing to bet that the 2-port is running newer software. If so, update your version of GCE to the latest (3.1.1 at the time of this post). (It's actually not a bad idea to update to the latest anyways...)

As for the RVI, does the Ion console appear in the list of available masters after clicking troubleshoot?
If it appears, select it and choose change master.
If it appears but has a line through it, it means that the RVI saw it at one point but does not currently see it online. This usually points to a network subnet issue, a flaky network connection, or faulty cable.
If it does not appear at all, check network connections and also try pinging the RVI from the Ion. Also, even though you mentioned that they are running the same software, verify that all of the numbers in the version string match. You can find the full version string by clearing your command line and pressing [About] ([Ctrl]+[/] on a keyboard). (Note: to do this on an RVI, you will need to choose to go offline first).

As always, ETC is available at 800-688-4116.

Sent from a mobile device with small keys and big thumbs using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back